Friday, August 20, 2010

Will it stay clean?!?

Today the boys were begging to go play in the sand at Daddy Steve & Namaw's house.  I was planning on working around our house today rather than going to work, so I called to see what Daddy Steve was up to (I knew it was his Friday off).  He said the boys could come over to play around 10:30.  When the clock showed 10:30 Brody was waiting by the front door.  Daddy Steve met me half way to his house and we made the switch (meaning the boys went with him).  I headed back home to clean house...all by myself!!!  Earlier this morning I drank a cup of coffee from the pot that Mike made last night (while he was staying up late working on a project for work).  WOWZERS!!!  It was STRONG!  I think the effects of the coffee just wore off an hour ago!  Needless to say, I was in warp speed as I was cleaning.

In the 3 hours that the boys were with Daddy Steve and Namaw, I got the kitchen cleaned, all the bathrooms cleaned, all of the floors swept, mopped, and vacuumed, the toy bins in Brody's room cleaned out (resulting in a bag of trash and a bag to donate), and 3 loads of laundry done! 

The most exciting part (for me anyways) was that I picked the boys up just in time for naps.  This means I could take them home, put them down for naps, and then when they woke up it'd be time to eat...and then Tyler and Ann would arrive!  Tyler and Ann are taking the boys with them to Temple tonight to visit Grandmommy.  No, I wasn't excited because I picked them up just in time to put them in bed...I was excited because this meant there wouldn't be time for the boys to mess up the clean house!!!  If you have kids, you know how the routine goes.  You clean one thing and before you can clean something else, the first thing you cleaned has already been messed up by the little hands that follow you wherever you go! 

So...this meant Mike and I would be able to enjoy a clean house for an entire 24-hour period!  I don't know why, but this just seemed really exciting to me.  At 1:30 I picked the boys up from Daddy Steve & Namaw's and headed home.  When we got home I gave them the instructions, "Go potty and then I'll meet you in your rooms to tuck you in for your nap."  Simple enough, right?  Well...I walked into the bathroom to find that it no longer looked like it'd just been cleaned.  For some reason, Brody felt the need to "fix" his hair before nap!  He wet his head (getting the faucet and entire countertop wet) and then ran his hands back and forth over the top of his head (like Daddy does) which flicked water all over the mirror (which had been spotless just minutes earlier).  Really?!?  I took a deep breath, told Brody his hair looked nice...but to please step away from the mirror before he ran his hands thru his hair next time, and then went to tuck the boys in bed. 

Since Mike and I are going on a date (it's our anniversary date just a few weeks late) tonight, he picked up some Chinese food on his way home and the boys just finished eating.  A few minutes ago I got down on my hands and knees with a wet paper towel and cleaned the lo mein off the floor from around Barrett's seat (it's times like this that I miss our Yorkie, Trevor).  Tyler and Ann should be here in a few minutes to pick up the boys.  If I can keep them from pulling out all their toys before Tyler and Ann get here...I think we'll get to sleep in a clean house tonight!  Can you tell I'm excited about that?!?

2 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

SO glad you had some "alone" time and were able to get everything done- there is just a good feeling that you get knowing all of the housework is done and the house is clean! I am glad it stayed that way (for the most part) for 24 hours :)
Hope y'all have fun on your date tonight, I know we'll have fun with the boys!!!

Leave It To Davis said...

I have forgotten what it is like to have a clean house....I have just given in to dirt and filth.