Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Cake(s)

We baked Brody's birthday cake and cupcakes yesterday, but since his birthday party isn't until 4 pm today, we waited until this morning to start decorating the cakes.  I had a really hard time figuring out what theme to go with for Brody's birthday this year.  As you may remember, anytime I asked him what he wanted for a birthday cake he'd say, "I want a green heart cake with Jesus in the middle of it...because Jesus is in our heart!"  So innocent and sweet...but just seemed a little strange for a birthday party.  So the other day we ventured to Party City.  As we walked down the boy aisle, Brody would exclaim, "Ooooo!  Batman!  I want a Batman cake. {side note:  I don't think he even knows who Batman is!} Oh wait!  I see pirates!  I want a pirate cake!" and on and on and on.  Basically everything we saw he thought would be a good idea.  When he saw the Texas Rangers stuff...I decided steer him in that direction.  On a daily basis Brody and Barrett have "softball games" (ie. they pretend to play softball in the big open area of my bedroom), and he's been begging to go to a Rangers game...so I thought a Texas Rangers theme would work.

Here's a picture of the finished Texas Rangers birthday cake:
and the baseball cupcakes...
and since we had an extra round cake, we decided to go ahead and made the cake the Brody really wanted. 
The bar decorated for the party.  I thought the napkins that looked like a uniform were too cute!
Now it's almost time to cut into the cake.  That's always the hardest part for me.  We spend so much time making the birthday cake look just right...and then we eat it! lol

8 comments:

RaeAnn said...

That's awesome! Good job Staci!

Ann Hastings said...

I am impressed at your cake making/decorating skills!!! It was SO cool!!!

Sharon said...

You've got talent! It is amazing what you can put together in a matter of very little time. I love the cake(s) I think it was sweet you went ahead and made the Jesus cake.

Paula said...

How cool is that? I'm impressed!

Wendi said...

I'll have to show Wade this post. He would appreciate it. :) Miss y'all!

Leave It To Davis said...

Wow! Where's my cake???? Great job, Staci!!

The Goforths said...

Can I hire you to make a Rangers cake for us?!

Staci said...

Ali - You could make that Ranger's cake. It really wasn't that hard! Blow up the picture of my cake as a template and then trace it with a toothpick onto your cake. Then it's just a matter of filling in the lines!