Sunday, August 29, 2010

It's the little things...

At times when you least expect it...something little reminds you of someone you've lost.  Just for a brief moment (sometimes longer) it brings back all the grief and heartache you felt at the time of the loss.  I was struck by one of those moments yesterday morning. 

The boys joined us in bed on Saturday morning for a little snuggle time before breakfast.  They both were insistent that they wanted biscuits and gravy for breakfast.  I finally climbed out of bed and headed for the kitchen to get things started (knowing that if I thawed the meat and made the biscuits...Mike would make the gravy taste like a slice of Heaven for us!)  I opened the fridge to find that we were out of canned biscuits.  Great!  Then I opened the pantry to find that there wasn't any Bisquick!  If I were Grammy...I'd've just whipped up some homemade biscuits...but I'm not Grammy.  Instead I searched behind boxes of brown rice and came across this...
Mike walked into the kitchen to find me a pool of tears.  He looked at me totally confused.  I showed him what I'd found and he said, "That'd work....but why are you crying?"  Thru my tears I explained to him that the biscuit mix was in a basket of goodies that Grandpa Jim (Mike's dad) had given us a few years ago.  I guess just seeing the biscuit mix made me think about him and it brought back the grief I felt over his death.  Mike assured me that Grandpa Jim gave it to us because he wanted us to use it...so he thought we should make the biscuits.  As I made the biscuits, I talked to the boys about their Grandpa Jim.  I told them that he loved to cook and that he would've loved to show them how to make biscuits and gravy.  Brody still has some memories of Grandpa Jim, but Barrett was just a baby when he died.  Brody talked to Barrett about Grandpa Jim as they watched the biscuits bake.
Yummmm!  Mike's gravy included some spicy venison breakfast sausage.
The boys LOVE biscuits and gravy (something I'd never even had until I married Mike...not that I would've tried it as a kid...I used to be a little picky about my food touching! lol)
 
The loss of a loved one is hard, but I'm glad for the little things that remind us of Grandpa Jim.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I am so thankful that God gave us memories because we can always keep them close to us.

Thank you for the birthday wish. I love you all.

Teri said...

That's a precious memory hug. Glad you could share it with the boys.
and now I'm hungry!

Ann Hastings said...

Precious memories! Glad the boys get to hear about him... the breakfast looks yummy too :)