Saturday, October 03, 2009

Sandy Shoes

This morning we had a wonderful, hot breakfast at the hotel. It was a much needed relief after an early morning. Barrett started crying at 4:30 this morning. I ended up putting him in bed with me. Brody had to move over to the bed with me and Barrett, so it was all three of us in one bed. Brody went back to sleep just fine, but Barrett alternated between sleeping, crying, and tossing and turning. I didn't get much sleep after 4:30...and was really wishing that I hadn't stayed up until 11:30 reading last night!

I don't think the hotel needed to play the news in the dining room this morning as we provided the entertainment. Brody had his chatterbox turned on at breakfast and everyone in the dining room had one ear turned toward our table. I kept seeing shoulders shake as people were laughing along with his jokes and silly questions. There were several people at breakfast who were also in town for Brice's wedding. I ran into Christy Riffel (the sister-in-law of the bride who went to church with us in Sterling) and Junior's daughter, Rachel. As we were headed back to our room, Rachel knocked on Brice's door and let them know that we were in town. Brice and Junior came out and talked to us for a little while. Of course, Brody's chatterbox immediately switched to off when Junior and Brice tried to talk to him. Arg.

When Brody started bounding around our hotel room like Tigger, I new I needed to get them outside again! I decided to head back to the G.A.D. festival. I figured we could walk around the festival and then the kids could play on the "beautiful, new playground". Two things I didn't count on...

1.) It was COLD outside! I forgot what 40 degrees feels like! The only shoes I had besides dress shoes were sandals, so my feet were freezing! At least I had a jacket for each of us!

2.) The festival didn't start until after 11:00! Since the boys were early risers this morning, we were at the park by 9 am. The good thing about this is that the boys had the playground pretty much to themselves. The bad thing is that the festival/carnival wasn't in full swing (meaning I couldn't browse thru the little craft stands). The good thing? The festival/carnival wasn't in full swing (meaning I wouldn't have to shell out money for rides or food).



I told Brody not to get in the sandbox because I didn't want him to ruin his new shoes...and I didn't want sand all in our car/hotel. He asked if he could lean over and play with his hands. I told him that was ok.

Then I realized how silly I was being. I have a little boy and he just wants to play! Is a little sand really gonna hurt anyone? I made the executive decision that it wouldn't and then Brody spent the next 5 minutes running in circles in the sand box screaming "wooo hooo!!!!"


Barrett was starting to get a little fussy (couldn't be from the lack of sleep?!?) so I put him in the backpack. I was telling Brody that it was time to go eat and Brody said, "But Barrett's sleeping!" I had to take a picture to see for myself.


Brody was right. So, I decided to let Barrett take a nap and let Brody play for another hour. When the clouds starting hiding more and more of the sunlight, we headed for the car. The winds weren't blowing 44 mph like yesterday, but without the sun it was pretty chilly!



We stopped at Dairy Queen for lunch (Brody really wanted fried chicken) and then headed back to the hotel for nap time. Again, it was very difficult to get the boys to sleep in the same room. I finally made Brody a pallet on the floor between the bed and the wall so that Barrett couldn't see him. They were both asleep within 10 minutes. I may try this tactic again tonight!


Only one more hour before the wedding!

2 comments:

Cousin Julie said...

Watch for my pictures later today. They might look familiar.

Ann Hastings said...

I LOVE that Brody really wanted fried chicken- he and I think alike :)