Tuesday, October 27, 2009

16 months

We are somehow a month off on our well-check visits for Barrett. That means that he went to the dr at 16 months rather than 15. Our doctor is still concerned about his weight. He is "between 25-50%" for height (don't know why she didn't give me an exact %) but is still below the charts for weight. He's been staying on his "own" growth curve for weight, however, this visit his weight leveled off. He only gained 13 oz in the last 3 months putting him at a whoppin' 18 lbs 13 oz. Our pediatrician consulted with a GI and they both thought that we should take Barrett to Cooks for some blood work. My gut tells me that they're being over-proactive and I really just think that he's a lightweight...but I like it when doctors are proactive and we thought it would be best to follow their suggestions and make sure that there's not something wrong that is keeping Barrett from gaining weight at a "normal" rate.

Yesterday I took him to Cooks for a sweat test (see his arm below). They also drew 3 vials of blood and took a urine and stool sample. (I had to refrigerate and bring the stool sample in with me. Gross!!! Even though it was in a sealed container, I'm not sure I want to eat the food in my fridge now! lol) He took all the testing like a champ. While waiting on the sweat test, he went around and made friends with all the kids and adults in the waiting room. I made sure to bathe him in antibacterial sanitizer after we left!

Weight aside, Barrett is way above "normal" with his development. I absolutely love the age he's at right now. He tries to repeat everything we say and claps for himself for even the smallest accomplishment! For the past week or so I've put him on the potty while I'm drawing the bath...just to get him used to the idea. Several times he's gone #1 and Brody and I cheer for him. Last night he went #1 AND #2!!! It was like he'd just won the Superbowl! Brody and I were so excited! I think Mike wondered what in the world was going on in the bathroom.
One of the cutest things that Barrett does right now is to tell you "Bye bye!" He'll walk into my office say, "Bye bye!" and blow me a kiss as he turns around to leave. I'll say, "Don't you need a hug before you go?" Then he'll run back to me, give me a hug, and start the "bye bye" all over again. When I show him "I love you" fingers as he's walking away, he'll turn and hold one finger up in the air towards me. He can't seem to make the other fingers cooperate to make the sign...but it doesn't matter. I know what he means and it melts my heart!

5 comments:

Mom said...

You are right - he is a joy! It is neat that Brody recognizes his accomplishments too. What fun kids.....

Ann Hastings said...

Sweet Barrett- I am glad you took him for tests, even though it feels a little proactive... better safe than sorry. I am so proud of him doing so well- the picture of him is precious. I am enjoying seeing and hearing about he sweet personality.
YAY for #1 & #2 on the potty Barrett! Very proud of you!

Jamie said...

That little cutie!!Ya! for potty- that is super! the signing I love you sounds adorable!

Rebecca said...

Keep us poseted on what the dr. says. My nephew had a really bad time for a while with eating anything. I think he was healthy, like Barrett, but my sister-in-law was very worried about his eating all the time. He is still really skinny, but doing fine.

Grammy said...

YAY!! - to both of the boys - Barrett for his newest accomplishments and Brody for being such an encouraging older brother--sweet kids!!!