Friday, October 23, 2009

Matching Camo

Ever since Mike got back from his hunting lease, the pretend hunting has been more intense and more frequent at our house. On Wednesday, Brody built a blind on top of the bed at Daddy Steve & Namaw's house (using 2 chairs and a blanket) so that he could take his nap in his hunting blind. When we got home from work on Wednesday night he got straight to hunting deer from the "blind" in his room. He donned his camo pants, hunting boots, and a sleeveless camo t-shirt. I was thankful when Mike said he needed to put on a shirt that had sleeves to go to church on Wednesday night. I thought it was because the tank and pants had different camo and they didn't match. Later Mike told me that it was just because it didn't have sleeves. He said that your camo doesn't have to match. This is hard for me! If Brody's going to wear camo pants, I want his top to be something different (like orange or grey) or I want the camo to match! I told Mike that I'm sure that women hunters have matching camo. I know I wouldn't want the deer to see me in camo that clashed! lol

Anyways, yesterday Brody woke up and immediately put on his camo pants and a camo t-shirt (with sleeves...yes, this boy has lots of options in camo). He shot two deer before it was time to go to school! It was going to be very cool yesterday, so I thought I had a sly way of winning the matching camo battle. I told Brody he needed to wear long sleeves and I grabbed a shirt that had a camo thermal underneath a blue t-shirt. Even though the sleeves didn't match the pants, there wasn't as much "un-matching camo" as a solid shirt, so I thought this would be better. I didn't count on the argument that "the blue isn't camo and the deer will see me if I'm wearing this much blue! I have to hunt until the moment we leave for school and then I have to go hunting as soon as we get home, so I have to have solid camo on!" I decided this wasn't a battle worth fighting and got out his camo fleece for him to wear.

So what do you think? Does your camo need to match? (Of course, the majority of my readers aren't hunters...so I don't know how accurate this poll will be!)

*Edit* Reading Morgon's comment made me realize that Mike is exactly like that. When he gets new camo, he has to get gloves, a face mask, etc to match...so I wonder why his has to match but Brody's doesn't? Maybe it's just because he's a kid and it's hard to find matching camo?

Matching aside, I love how much Brody wants to be like his Daddy. When Mike got home from work on Wednesday Brody told him, "I have my camo on and am hunting for deer...because I want to be just like you!" Melts my heart when I see him so in love with his Daddy. It also make me think about how much our boys look up to our example and how we need to make sure that we are striving to set a Christlike example every single day.

7 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

I love that Brody wants to be just like his daddy- that's so adorable and later on will make it easy for him to believe in The Father because of what a great father Mike is :)
I have to agree with you- Camo does have to match... at least in my opinion. Unmatching camo is hard for me to look at (hehe).

Unknown said...

I will not go hunting if my camo does not match. I may be the only guy in the world that hunts and has to have the same pattern from top to bottom. To Lauren's dismay I have spent more money and time on matching my camo patterns than I should have! I have gloves and beanies and even face cover to match the different patterns that are manufactured. :) You have to take into consideration the animal you are hunting, your surroundings (trees, grass, leave patters, colors, etc...) Hunting in Texas presents many challenges as one one day it is 78 and sunny and the next it is 36 and raining. Both of which will change the surroundings and the "amount" of camo that I put on.
It is a scientific anf very complex way of thinking, and I am now tired just thinkning about it. Bottom line...camo has to match!

megan said...

another vote for matching camo here! Connor is into camo right now, too, but he only has one shirt and one pair of pants that zip off into shorts. They are the same camo. :) I don't prefer it when he wears them both...I like one or the other at a time, but I don't fight that battle. Brody is so cute and I love that he wants to be just like Mike!

Wendi said...

It is so cute that he wants to be just like Mike. I love your kids.

Romaine said...

OK, Staci, that last sentence just left me in a puddle and I was laughing up till then. Seems like you've got your priorities in order. I say, "if the camo is clean, you are good to go." Of course, I was not that sensible when my boys were young.

Ledbetter Fam said...

I'm pretty sure my Dad doesn't care if his camo matches, but mine must!!! I'm pretty sure all of David's camo matches as well. It also drives me crazy when the boys don't match. I'm with you!

Leave It To Davis said...

Dave has been hunting with great success since he was 10....that's 50 years, and he said it is BETTER if your camo doesn't match....it breaks the lines up better and you are harder to see....think about the environment....there are many kinds of trees and grasses all together.....so your camo will look natural if it isn't the same print. That's straight from the master of coyote hunting. :)