Thursday, August 09, 2007

Wind & Rain

Last night we had a few crazy storms roll through our area. We didn't realize that it was supposed to storm last night. The first time we looked at the radar there was a small storm southwest of us. Before long there was a line of storms that moved right over head. The largest of the storms brought an inch of rain in about 15 minutes along with hail and at least 70 mph winds! I was in the shower with Brody when I heard a constant thundering boom. I called out to Mike (I'm always paranoid that we're gonna be hit by a tornado). He came in there to tell me that I was hearing the hail. When I got out of the shower, I walked into the living room to find Mike soaking wet! I missed the exciting part of the storm. The winds blew so hard that the front door blew open soaking the entry way of the edition (thankfully that floor's not finished yet!). It took our wheelbarrow (that was turned upside down) over 100 yards into the field to the east of our house. The craziest thing that happened is what it did to the lawn tractor (mower). The mower was facing north. The wind turned the mower to the east and scooted (you can't roll it when it's in park) about 5 feet to the east. It flipped the sprayer that was on the back of the mower and busted the cap. WOW! That is powerful wind!

The same storm went over St. John. Jim (Mike's dad) called last night to make sure we were ok. He said that they lost shingles and siding off of the house. He said it also ripped the cover off his hot tub and tore it in half then turned his lawn tractor on it's nose! He said they had a lot of trees/limbs down.

Of course we lost power (most of the county did)...but they had it back on within the hour. I looked at the rain gauge again this morning and there was a little over an inch in there. I think Mike emptied it once last night...so that puts us at a little over 2 inches in about an hours time. I bet it was more than that. I have no idea how ANY water landed in the rain gauge with as hard as the wind was blowing. It looked like it was raining sideways outside!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are all okay.

suzspeaks said...

wow! That is crazy...I'm glad you're okay too!

Laura said...

What a wild storm!

Amy said...

WOW that is crazy. I know we got some crazy storms in KC too, but I don't think anything as bad as you got. I slept through all of it too.

Anonymous said...

We are thankful that y'all are all o.k. That was a wild storm - glad it was not a tornado!!!! We would have been scared to death. Love you and looking forward to seeing you soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow! The wind really blew at your house. I don't think it was that bad here.