Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Toad Strangler

When I started working for the rec almost 7 years ago I was introduced to quite a few new saying. Junior would say something and I would have no idea what it was talking about. He'd look at me like I was crazy because it was some phrase he'd heard his entire life.

One of my favorites is when he comes into the office and tells me about the "toad strangler" we had the day before. I've learned that this means "it rained hard last night"! Here's the saying in context:

"Did you get much rain at your house last night, Staci? It was a real toad strangler at our place!"

Monday I discovered the reason for the saying "toad strangler"! We had a HARD rain! It rained so hard that water came under the front door of the gym and flowed under the mats in the weight room. See RaeAnn's blog for pictures of the clean up. Anyways, I had to keep cleaning out the drain in front of the gym front door so that the water wouldn't keep backing up. I cleaned it out one last time after the rain stopped and noticed something peculiar. There were about 10 little toads bloated, dead, and lying on their backs! I'd say we had a "toad strangler"!!!

5 comments:

RaeAnn said...

Unfortunately Jr. cleaned out the drain and got rid of the toads before I could get a picture of them!

Anonymous said...

Ew-w-w-w!

Amy said...

Darn, I wish we could see pics of that. Poor little toads.

Anonymous said...

Mercy, we did not get a toad strangler! Hope the gym wasn't too aweful to clean up!

Kyle & Susie Rhodes said...

I don't think I've ever been in a rain where it was described as a
"toad strangler." It doesn't sound fun!