Monday, August 13, 2007

Birthday Eve

A year ago at this very moment I was woken up by contractions. This wasn't anything new as I'd been having contractions off and on for several days and braxton hicks contractions for months! I have a journal for Brody that I write in every so often. The entry on August 13, 2006 reads:

"You really like to tease me! I'm still having contractions, but not enough to go to the hospital! At church today everyone was anxious for you to come! I think I'm gonna be pregnant FOREVER!!!"

Little did I know that 2 hours later I would wake up to go to the bathroom and have my water break! I didn't know that I would be holding my little baby boy within 12 hours!

I don't know if it's just fatigue...but I'm really emotional today! Tomorrow is my baby's birthday! I guess I'm coming to the realization that he's not a baby anymore. If I get this emotional over a first birthday....I don't even want to think about what I'll be like when he graduates from high school or gets married!!! I'm glad I have a few years to prepare ;)

This past year has gone by sooooo quickly! There have been a lot of struggles and sleepless night...but there has also been so much joy. It's amazing how someone so small can brighten the dreariest day. I don't want to forget all the special little moments that I've shared with Brody in the first year of his life.

Here is a just a portion of the list of things that I love about my son:
I love how when I walk into the room in the morning your tears instantly turn to smiles and laughter as you reach for me. You love the outdoors...and cry sometimes when I won't take you outside (sorry...but 103 degrees is TOO hot!) I love how you hurry to the couch when I ask if you want milk. I love how you reach for my face while nursing (even though sometimes you scratch my nose! lol). I love how you say "ahhh" after taking a drink (and sometimes even after nursing)! I absolutely LOVE your laugh! I love to see you and your daddy playing chase and laughing so hard your tummy hurts! I love how easy it was to get rid of the paci. I love how you snuggle with your pillow and stuffed animals when I put you in your bed. I love when you give me a zrbbt (pronounced "zerbert"). I love how you point to the kleenex box and blow air out of your nose (then practice blowing your nose on a kleenex when I hand you one). I love how you put your hand to your ear and say "hello" (or at least your version of hello) whenever you see a phone. I love how even the apples and oranges at the grocery store are balls (shouldn't everything round and shiny be a ball?!) I love how you pick out books and want to sit in my lap for me to read to you. I love how you "dance" to music. I love how you tell us when you're ready for bed (you wave "bye bye" and go to the stairs...even climb up them towards your room if the gate isn't there). I love how excited you are to see your daddy (whether he just got home from work...or you catch a glimpse of him mowing outside). I love to hear your laugh when we play "This little piggy went to market..." with your toes on the way home from work. I love how much you love bath time....and I love how you lay down on you belly in the bath and blow bubbles in the water. I love how much you enjoy swimming. I love how excited you are to see me or Mike when we pick you up from the nursery after church. I love how much you talk and how many words you are saying! I love how at a year old...you still have a toothless grin! I love when you walk to me...and get so excited that you fall into my arms!

Ok....I could go on forever with things that I love about Brody Michael...but I'll stop there. I need to go to bed. A year ago today I didn't realize how short this night was going to be!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Staci. :) I can't believe Brody is a year already. Happy Birthday, big boy!

Anonymous said...

If Brody could read, he would say "That was a good list Mommy" and then clap his hands.

Happy Birthday Brody! I love you!

Anna said...

Now its my turn for the tears! Awesome post...we are so blessed with the men/boys in our lives! Happy Birthday Brody!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Brody. You have a wonderful mommy and daddy. They are so blessed to have you and you are so blessed to have them.

Beautiful post, Staci!!!

Anonymous said...

Time goes by so fast and Cheyenne and I have enjoyed seeing Brody grow into the little boy he is today on his first birthday. Happy Birthday Brody!

Laura said...

Happy Birthday to Brody!! I can't believe how fast times goes by!

Amy said...

Loved your post! Happy Birthday Brody! I can't even imagine what this day is like for you, Stac.

Rebecca said...

I was shocked when I read the birthday posts because it only seems like it was a few months ago when you had your shower for him. I guess I should have known better because that's when I got introduced to blogging. Happy b-day Brody!