Wednesday, August 15, 2007

PLEASE VOTE!!!

I know there are A LOT of lurkers out there...people who read my blog all the time but never comment. I need EVERYONE who reads this blog to vote in the comments section. It's easy! Just click on "comments" at the bottom of this post, type a comment, choose an identity, and type in the verification letters. Simple! Even if you're reading this weeks after I post it...please still vote!!!

What would you say if I told you that you could get a complete cardiovascular and muscle toning workout in 4 MINUTES? I've heard of the ROM Quick Gym several times over the past year or so...but I always just discounted it as a fraud. The personal trainer in me (with a degree in Kinesiology) tells me that it's not possible to have an effective cardio workout in only 4 minutes. Even physicians recommend exercising 20-45 minutes for an effective cardiovascular workout!

After several gym members asked about the ROM, I finally decided to try one out for myself. As soon as I walked into the gym I told the owner, Mel Wright, that it was going to take a lot of convincing to get me to believe in the ROM. He assured me he was the same way in the beginning. He goes on to tell me that he has his doctorate in Exercise Physiology, was a professor in the Exercise Science field at a university in Oklahoma, played basketball for OU, played 4 years of professional basketball, and was the head women's basketball coach at McPherson College. In other words...he has a very strong background in exercise!

My first question...how can I get a workout in only 4 minutes a day? ANSWER (click on "answer" for a full explanation). In short, as oxygen consumption increases...your workout time required decreases. As you use more muscles...oxygen consumption increases...workout time decreases.

When using the ROM Quick Gym, you do upper body one day and lower body the next. I was surprised when I could feel the machine working all the muscles in my upper body with one exercise (the same with the lower body). The machine has intensity settings from level 1-20 (meaning you'll never be too fit or too out of shape for the ROM). The ROM keeps a constant level of resistance throughout the entire workout. As I began to tire (and slow down)...the resistance adjusted automatically so that I could continue the workout and work my hardest.



My biggest hesitation was the following question, "How do you train for endurance with a 4 minute cardio workout?" Mel tells me he had the same question and decided to be his own test subject. Before he bought three ROM Quick Gyms (and opened his own gym), he used to live in the country. He ran 4 miles (around the section) six days a week. Once he opened the gym, he only worked out 4 minutes a day on the ROM (no running). After more than a year of using the ROM he decided to test his endurance. He went back to his former home in the country to attempt his old 4 mile run. He shocked himself when he was able to run the route as well as (if not better than) when he'd been running it on a daily basis! Again, it all goes back to the oxygen consumption of your muscles during exercise.

So maybe you're thinking, "Staci's in shape. Of course she could do 4 minutes on the ROM. But what about me? I haven't worked out in years!" While I was at Mel's gym, a lady came in to use the ROM who was 86 YEARS OLD! In other words, this machine works all ages and ability levels! CRAZY! Mel showed me case studies of his clients. He showed me how they were losing weight, gaining muscle tone, and increasing flexibility. There was also many instances of decreased blood pressure & lowered cholesterol!

Would you please VOTE in the comments?

  • Would you actually go to the gym if you knew it would only take 4 minutes of your day (rather than an hour)?

Other questions (answering these are optional...voting is not optional! ;)

  • Would you need case studies to prove the ROM's effectiveness before you would join?
  • What would you be willing to pay for a monthly membership?

We are seriously considering putting one of these in our gym. The cost of one is very high ($15,000)...but I think it would be more than worth it if it will draw in new members. I think the ROM targets working people (who don't think they have time to exercise) and people who hate exercising (anyone can handle FOUR minutes)! Please let me know what you think!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might actually do 4 minutes!

Anonymous said...

Definitely skeptical. I would like to see legitimate case studies, but more importantly, I need to see things first-hand. If it really works, how about offering a free trial month? I would try it out under those conditions. If it works, it would sell itself. As a mom of 3, the time committment is the biggest hindrance to a regular work-out; so 4 minutes sounds really appealing. I don't know how much I would be willing to pay...

Laura said...

If it works (I would need case studies) I would go workout for 4 minutes. I am not sure about cost, but the free trial month (or so many times on the ROM) thing sounds good! I don't know how much a gym membership is since I don't go.

Anonymous said...

I read most of the information on the ROM, and while I am still skeptical, I would love to try it. I would not probably want to pay more than $30/month, as that's what I pay for my YMCA membership, and they have a pool and classes.

I agree with the trial period, maybe 2 weeks or 4 uses instead of a month though.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely do the 4 minutes, especially since it adjusts to your ability. Sounds incredible!!! I probably could not afford the fee, though.

Staci said...

Caleb - The difference between the ROM and a stepper is the range of motion and the resistance. I've done steppers before and it is WAY different than anything you can do on a stepper.

I also tried a suggestion from Mom of walking on the treadmill (on an incline) with a large range of motion (letting my foot go to the back of the treadmill before taking another step). It worked my legs...but I didn't get the cardio workout that I got on the ROM.

The other AMAZING thing is the warranty. In the fitness industry the standard warranty is 3 years. ROM offers a 5 year warranty with an additional 5 years if you send them a letter about your experience with the ROM (good or bad). So you get a 10 YEAR WARRANTY!!! Wowzers!

Anonymous said...

I vote no because it doesn't look like I could read a magazine while using it. Can't do a stair stepper for even 1 minute if I can't read. Is it cardio only? Wouldn't I still need to lift weights?

Definitely need documentation. Even better would be a real life example of someone my age who is in great shape and does only that machine--over a period of at least a couple of years.

For some reason that old saying about things that seem too good to be true keeps ringing in my ears.

Rebecca said...

I would not join a gym just for the ROM. If it were in the gym, I would try it as long as I didn't look rediculous on it. (I tend to stay away from the machines that make me feel silly.)

Would it be in a separate part of the gym? Would their membership be only to the ROM? If not, then the price should be the same as a normal membership.

Ledbetter Fam said...

Wow, I agree with a lot of the comments already posted. I am still skeptical. I would definitely need some case studies to show me some actual REALISTIC results. I wouldn't pay more than a normal membership just for a special machine. If it really works, that would be absolutely fabulous seeing as how one of my main concerns is the time away from my kids while working out.

JB

Anonymous said...

I vote yes! I would pay $25.00 a month.

You did say this is for any age, right? The ROM does look a bit scary and confusing but if someone would help me I would be willing to use one.

Amy said...

I would definately use it, if my gym had it. But the decision to purchase it is a big one as it is very spendy. It sounds great!!

Kelly | Fabulous K said...

Hey there-- I found you on Shauna's blog...

Anyway, I would use it if you let me do a trial 1st. I would want to try it our and see if I like it, and if I did then I would definitely pay for a membership!

Matt and Stef said...

I think the hardest part for me would be that skeptical little voice in head saying, "how can this possibly work?" I think maybe if I could test it out once or twice, then I would be all for joining and using it. It would make a world of difference to know that I only had to go to the gym for a few minutes a day instead of an hour or more!

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds like a great idea, but like all the other comments I am wondering "How can you only do cardio for only 4 minutes!!!" I don't know if I would drive to Lyons to use it. It would take me longer to get there than it would to work out! But I might if be convinced to do so with some case studies showing weight loss and effectiveness. I agree that the trial period would be nice too.

Anonymous said...

My initial reaction is "Yes, I would love a 4-min. workout!" That, of course, is coming from someone long past young and one who never goes to a gym! I would like to have evidence that it works and that older and not-so-fit people can actually do it.

However, thinking about it more, I am not sure that I would feel that a 4-min. workout would be worth all the time involved in going to a gym and the expense of a gym. I think I would have to combine it with something else to make it seem worth my time.
(I know----maybe offering free coffee and donuts afterwards would work for me!!!)

Anonymous said...

It would be great to go to the gym
if 4 minutes would obtain results!

I think I'd have to vote no for now, though,until more case studies were done and the cost came down. Time will tell as to
whether it performs as stated!