Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Seriously?!?

Today Brody told me that he wanted to dive into the pool like Lauren (my cousin Julie's daughter). I started to try to show him how to do it (I was gonna start him with a sit dive) and he said, "No. I don't need any help. I can do it by myself."

I laughed (on the inside) and said, "Ok...show me!"

Show me he did!

(Please do not pay attention to my singing! The radio was on and I was just singing along...not thinking about the fact that it'd be on the video!)






It may not be perfect...but we were impressed! I have taught swim lessons to more kids than I can count over the years and I have never had a kid learn to swim as early and easily as Brody has. I never even DREAMED that I'd see a kid (not even 3 years old yet) dive into the pool without any instruction (or coercing)! I wish all the kids I taught swim lessons to were as easy to teach as Brody. Now if I could just get him to use his arms more consistently while he's swimming. Maybe I need to tie his feet together and have him swim with just his arms (I did this to one kid that I was teaching lessons to and it worked for him...but he may have been 8 yrs old rather than 3. Maybe I just need to be patient.)

Oh...and this means he'll be getting another slurpee tomorrow ;)

8 comments:

Paula said...

That last sentence...oh my. You may have discovered the secret to genius.

www.salad-in-a-jar.com

Jamie said...

This is so cute, what a big boy. And I must say that is great form. You might just have a little Phelps on you hand!

Amy said...

Staci - that is amazing. (Coming from a mom of a nine year old who just managed to give up a life jacket but still holds his nose) Maybe I need to hire you next summer to teach my kids to swim!!

Amy said...

I am very impressed!

RaeAnn said...

Wow! Good job Brody! Cheyenne doesn't even want you to let her go in the water with a life jacket on! He's gonna be a swimmer!

GG said...

Brody, Lauren did such a good job teaching you. Will you teach me to dive when I come to your birthday party?

Steve and Joan said...

Maybe we should get Brody a wetsuit and he can come out to California and learn to surf!

Daddy Steve

Rebecca said...

When I have small kiddos, I'll need pointers on how to teach them to swim! I've heard that you can teach them as infants how to hold their breath.