Thursday, August 17, 2006

First Outing/Birth Story

Last night we took a road trip to Hutch. Mike needed to go to Home Depot and Mom & I needed some stuff from Target & Wal-Mart. I think some people thought I was crazy when they asked how old Brody was and I replied with "2 days"! I guess they thought we should still be home in bed.

The picture below is for Mykeal & Angi. I know they took Adam to HD when he was just a few days old. Here's our picture with Brody at 2 days :)

I've had several people ask for the "birth story". Read at your own risk!
I woke up around 11:15 pm on Sunday night with contractions. I slept off an on until around 1:00 am. At that time I prayed asking God to let me know if this was it or not so I knew whether or not to go into work at 4:30 am. As I got up out of bed to start timing contractions my water broke. I knew then that I didn't need to go into work!

I called Debbie (the dr) and told her I was having trouble timing contractions b/c they seemed almost constant. She told me to go to the hospital when they were 5 minutes apart. By 4:00 am they were 3-5 minutes apart and I told Mike we better hurry. They were starting to get more painful! We stopped at Mike's office on the way to the hospital so he could grab his bag that he'd packed with clothes.

As we reached the Lyons city limits I suddenly felt nauseous. Within 5 seconds I was throwing up. Luckily I had a pillow in my lap (and only cantelope and water in my tummy!) This made the contractions even more intense! Mike began driving a little bit faster to get us to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital around 5:00 am. Mike parked around back and we went in the emergency room entrance. By this time my contractions were anywhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes apart. When they checked me I was surprised to hear that I was only dialated to a 3! The contractions were so intense that within the next hour I was dialated to a 6.

Mike and I had decided beforehand that we wanted to do labor & delivery naturally. By 6 am I was begging Mike to let me have the drugs! LOL! The contractions were right on top of each other and so intense that I was wearing out quick! The anesthesiologist was in Wichita (1.5 hrs away) and the nurses told me that by the time he could get there it would be too late for me to get an epi. I decided to take some stadol. It didn't do anything to decrease the pain of the contractions, but it helped me to relax inbetween.

By 9:00 am I was dialated to a 10 and ready to push. After 1 hour and 16 minutes of the most excruciating pain of my entire life...our precious Brody Michael made his entrance into this world! Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute family! I'm sure he better get used to going to Home Depot!

RyAnn said...

You are superwomen! I could not do it without the drugs! I love that yall went to HD. Every boy needs to learn early about HD.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like ya'll had a fun and exciting time!! :)

Anonymous said...

You are my hero! I can't believe you did it w/o drugs! I guess you just do what you have to do!!

He is precious - and has a cool toe trick!

Shauna said...

Oh my gosh Staci - you are my hero!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT YOU DIDNT HAVE AN EPIDURAL!!!!! Oh my gosh! I am still in shock! Very impressive. Brody is so cute!! I love his little toes.