Saturday, July 03, 2010

When I grow up...

While we were eating pancakes this morning, Brody suddenly realized it was Saturday.  What big, important thing was happening on Saturday?  Daddy Steve was taking a load of cinder blocks to the dump.  Exciting!  Brody frantically asked if he could call Daddy Steve.  He was disappointed that he had to leave a message.  He said, "Daddy Steve?  Have you gone to the dump yet?  Love you. Bye."  He was happy when Daddy Steve called him back and asked if he wanted to go to the dump with him.

Since we've gotten a ton a rain this past week, I didn't want Brody walking the creek to Daddy Steve & Namaw's house and getting all muddy.  So, I walked with him on the sidewalk around the block to their house.  On our way Brody talked to me about what life will be like when he's a grown up.

Me - Someday you'll be old enough to walk on the sidewalk to Daddy Steve & Namaw's by yourself!
Brody - Yeah, and some day I'll have to walk my kids to Daddy Steve's house.  I won't be a mommy though, I'll be a daddy.
Me - That's true.  What do you think you'll do when you're a daddy?
Brody - I think I'll probably work in Ft. Worth.
Me - Really?  What do you want to do?
Brody - I haven't dic-sided (that's how he says decided) yet, but I think I'll probably work on spreadsheets.
Me - Ah.  That sounds fun.  What do you think you'll drive to work?
Brody - Oh......I'll probably drive a Jeep.
Me - Cool!  What color will your Jeep be?
Brody - Green.  Well, actually it'll be a grey green.

The whole time we were walking and talking he was holding tight to my hand and jumping over every crack in the sidewalk.  One time he stopped to pick up a rock.  As soon as he had the rock in his hand, he reached back up with his other hand to hold mine.  Then we kept walking and talking.  Dreaming about pet dogs, grey/green jeeps, and being old enough to walk around the block alone.

4 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

Ten years from now when you read this again, you will cry.

Mom said...

Just normal times can be so special.

Ann Hastings said...

LOVE it!

Rebecca said...

What a great conversation! I hope that Witten and I have funny conversations like that when he's a little older. I love hearing the things that Brody says!