Thursday, June 21, 2007

Lost in Translation

Yesterday I had two ladies come into the gym who are from Mexico. Tuesday they came in and just paid for one day. Yesterday they wanted to buy a membership. I figure out that they don't speak a lick of English...so I try to communicate with them that they can take the paperwork home to fill out and bring it back. They nodded "ok" and then sat down and started trying to fill it out! I finally get them signed up and head back to my office to answer the phone. I turn around to see them standing at the office door saying, "Aerobics?" I shook my head "yes" and they headed to the aerobics room. The ladies who usually come to aerobics were gone yesterday...so it was just me and 2 people who don't understand English! It made for a VERY interesting aerobics class! I contemplated doing the whole class silent (since they didn't understand me and were just copying whatever I did...most times a step behind me), however, I thought that if I taught like normal maybe, just maybe, they'd learn a word in English!

At the end of class I realized that I needed to communicate with them that we are having a week break in our aerobics class. In other words, we won't have aerobics again until July 2nd! How was I going to tell them this? I didn't want them showing up next week...then getting upset because we didn't have class and never coming back again. I looked in the cardio room to see if Lorena (Wendy's sister-in-law) was here...nope. I motioned for the ladies to follow me to my office where I tried to call Lorena on the phone...it was busy. Then I tried calling Wendy's house to see if one of her kids was home who could translate. No answer. I tried 2 other people who I know speak Spanish and no one was home. Finally I was able to communicate with the ladies that I was trying to call someone who speaks English & Spanish. She took the phone from me and called some guy who was bilingual. I gave her one phone and I took another and then I had a conversation with her via some random guy who had the ability to understand both of us.

I wish I'd've (I'd've is a Texas word.) gotten this guy's phone number so I could enlist his help the next time I'm calling parents about a game date change and I hear "Bueno" rather than "Hello" on the other end of the line.

7 comments:

RaeAnn said...

Sometimes it can be frustrating trying to speak to the spanish speaking people. I'm glad that you were able to get all the info. to them. Maybe we need a cheat sheet with a few spanish words so they understand a little bit!

Shauna said...

Funny - welcome to my world...

Ann Hastings said...

I speak Spanish- next time call me :) I'd at least give it a try!

Miss you & Love you@

Anonymous said...

I tried to get you to take Spanish in high school. But I won't say "I told you so."

Anonymous said...

I could feel your pain as I was reading your story. Try acting out a transvaginal (or scrotal) ultrasound exam to someone who speaks no English.

Unknown said...

This happens frequently to me living in Galveston. It really is frustrating especially when the non-English speakers are the ones who are answering the phones at a place of business and you are the customer calling. I guess I didn't realize Kansas had large Spanish-speaking population.

Sapphire, Dana, Karalee & Alastair said...

It's frustrating when you don't speak the same language, awesome you found someone that could help!

-Sapphire