Monday, March 12, 2012

Wisdom for the Next Generation

This is an email I received from my grandma (GG) after writing the post about letting go.  This is such a precious letter that I asked her if I could publish it here for others to benefit from.  She agreed to let me post it.  FYI:  "Dan" mentioned below is my grandpa.


Dear Staci,
I just read your blog, and the statement Mike made “You still have me” brought back memories about what Dan taught me and others on this subject. He always said that couples should always put their mate above the children. He said that we have our children at home about 18 years, and if we have always put them first it is more difficult to adjust. Then, he said that we have many years to live with our mates. If they are always first in our lives, then we will be happier the years we live after our children have left the nest. He had a difficult time convincing his Assistant that his wife should come first. He told Dan that he loved his sons more than anyone. But, after sometime, he told Dan that he had convinced him that his wife should be first.

So, Staci, remember you have Mike now, and hopefully many years after Brody and Barrett have established their own lives. I am so thankful that Mike came into your life. You all are wonderful parents and are doing wonderful job rearing the boys. They are precious!  Staci, I can tell how much Mike loves you and how much you love him, and that is such a blessing for me to see what good grandchildren I have. Dan loved Jan and Joan as much as any father can, but I always knew that I was first in his life.

I really enjoyed Barrett, and looking forward to Brody's visit.  Have a good night.
Love,
GG

3 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing!

Angela said...

So sweet of her to share!

Leave It To Davis said...

I want you to know that Dave thought the world of Dan....thought he was the nicest man at church...and at work. He always took the time to stop and shake Dave's hand and talk to him for a few minutes.