Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Thoughts from Brody

(FYI: I use this blog as a journal to chronicle our lives. If I don't put it on here, then it won't get into our yearly blog book...and I'll forget about it. Some of these thoughts may look like I'm braggin' on my boy...but I really just want to remember this stuff!)

While swimming last night....
"Mama? Can you make a birthday cake for my birthday?"
"Sure. What do you want on your cake?"
"I want it to be a big heart (what?!? I thought?! Daddy will never go for that!) with Jesus in the middle of it!" (stunned silence in my brain. Wow. Is that the faith of a child in action?)


When he came home from Daddy Steve and Namaw's last night...
Brody - "I brought home a bunch of leaves from the trees at their house!"
Me - "Why do you need to bring them inside our house? They're just gonna make a mess!"
Brody - "I brought them home to give them to my new baby sister!"
(No. We haven't been matched with a birth parent yet...and we don't know if it's gonna be a boy or girl...but Brody is sure it's gonna be a sister...and that it's gonna be soon.)


After the last day of preschool....
Brody - "Maybe Jackson will go to my new school next year."
Me - "No. We're going to the new school because it's by our house and Jackson still lives by your old school."
Brody - "Well...at least I know we'll get to play in Heaven forever, because Jackson loves Jesus!"
Me - "How do you know that?"
Brody - "Because I asked him!"


The other day Mike mentioned taking Brody to the store with him close to bedtime...
Me - "I think Brody would have fun going with you."
Mike - "How will you distract Barrett?"
Me - "I'll go give him a b-a-t-h (those of you with toddlers know that you get good at spelling things to your spouse that you don't want your kids to hear. I knew if Brody heard "bath" he'd probably choose that over the store and I knew Mike wanted some father-son time.)
Brody - "BATH?! I wanna take a bath!"
Mike and I just looked at each other with shocked expressions. When did our 3 1/2 year old learn how to spell?!


A few weeks ago Brody asked me if I wanted him to sing the books of the Old Testament. Of course I did! I was shocked when he sang a song showing me that he knew ALL the books of the OT!


Grammy sent Brody a card and some money because she was so proud of him for learning all the books of the Bible. We let him take the money to Cabela's on Sunday to buy something. On the way to the store we had a lesson about stewardship (saving, giving, and buying for yourself). He was very excited to get to hand the money to the cashier for the gun he was purchasing.
Brody - "So do I unfold the money when I hand it to her so she can see how much it is?"
Me - "Sure."
Brody - "Will she give me any money back or will she keep it all?"
Me - "She'll give you some change."
When she handed Brody a $5 and some loose change...
Brody - "I'll put the change in my pocket because it sounds cool when I walk. I can give this dollar (meaning the $5 bill) to Jesus on Sunday!"
...a few seconds later...
Brody - "Can I open my gun in the car or do we have to wait until we get home?"
Me - "We'll open it when we get home." (It makes a sound like a gun going off and I know Mike and I didn't want to hear that all the way home.) "But we may go somewhere else before we go home."
Brody - "Nah. I don't think we need to go anywhere else. I'm ready to go home."


Just to prove he's not always my perfect little angel, yesterday our morning Bible study was on how we show love to others. I asked Brody to give me some examples of how he could apply what we were reading in Matthew....
Brody - "When Barrett wants to play with the toy I'm playing with, I can let him have my toy and I can go get a different one."
Sounds good in theory right? Even though I reminded him of our morning devo several times throughout the day, I recall fights over toys, tricycles, blankets, and even sippy cups! I'm just as guilty as he is. How many times do I read about how to handle a situation in a Christlike manner...and then I do the complete opposite!

4 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

I love Brody stories, thanks for sharing :)

Jamie said...

You never seem like your bragging!- Seem very proud as you should be. You guys are awesome parents!

Steve and Joan said...

Keep recording these quotes! I love them!!!

Daddy Steve

Nancy said...

At the time, you always think you'll remember - but, you usually
don't so I'm glad you've recorded
them. They'll be priceless treasures!