Sunday, June 20, 2010

Memory Lane

Today we decided to take the scenic drive home.  We avoided the major highways all together and took the back roads home.  The neat thing about taking the back roads home is that it took us through two towns that have some important childhood memories for me.

First up was Marble Falls.  Sissie and Carroll (my great aunt and uncle) lived here when I was a child.  We loved coming to visit them because Carroll would let us drive his golf cart (their house backed up to the golf course)!  We took a picture of the town from the top of a hill...then we ventured into town for lunch! 
The next stop was Hamilton.  My great-grandparents (Granny Belle and Grandpa Walter) lived in Hamilton.  Many people don't get to know their great grandparents, however I was blessed that they lived well into my teen years! 
It's been so many years since I've visited Hamilton and just driving up the road towards their house brought back vivid memories.
Their house was not pink (or whatever color this is) when they lived there, but the outbuildings that they had are still standing (and are still the same color).
 
One of the most memorable aspects of their land (in the memory of everyone in our family) were the big trees out front.  The grandkids would climb in the trees for hours.  The branches hung low to the ground and were easy to climb.  They don't look the same anymore.  They are totally covered in vines.   I'm sure the branches we used to climb are long gone.  I wanted to get a picture of Brody in the tree...but there wasn't any way to get up there without cutting down some vines!

In my mind, this house is the one that Aunt Babe lived in.  Am I right, GG?
The creek down the road from their house.
When I called GG to get the house address, she asked if we had time to stop by the graveyard to check on Granny Belle and Grandpa Walter's graves.  She hasn't been able to go there for years and was curious as to the condition of the grave.  I was happy to tell her that it looked really good.  It's not a regularly maintained cemetery and all the other graves around them were full of weeds. 

After telling Mike and the boys a few stories about my great-grandparents, we got back on the road towards home.  It was so relaxing driving through the countryside rather than along the busy highway!  Here are a few pictures out the window...

 

3 comments:

GG said...

I enjoyed those pictures that brought back a lot of memories. Their house was always white. It still looks rather good to be about 70 years old. I think that tree is supposed to be several hundred years old. Indians camped or lived on that land under the trees so the story that has been told.I was so pleased to see their graves in such good shape. Thank you for taking these pictures.

Amy said...

That is the exact route we always took to get to Kerrville where my grandparents lived. Just reading the names of Hamilton and Marble Falls made me smile. I love that you are sharing your history with your kids.

Ann Hastings said...

Glad y'all had time to take the backroads, what fun!