Sunday, January 10, 2010

Graduation

Last Sunday Barrett graduated from the Cradle Roll (nursery class), where he'd been since he was born, to the toddler class. Yes, there is actually a Bible class for the babies. It's so cute! They sit in chairs (or bouncy seats) around a table and the teachers sing to them and tell them stories about God's love.

We are so grateful for the teachers that he had in the nursery. For months and months Barrett struggled with being attached to one person...me. Yes, I was a parent to one of "those" kids. The ones that the nursery workers see coming and think, "Oh boy. Get ready. Here comes Barrett." The crazy thing is that none of them had that attitude. Instead, they looked at the whole situation as a challenge that they wanted to beat. The came up with different techniques and finally figured out what worked. A few months ago he finally stopped crying and actually wanted to go to class! Of course, the ladies in the nursery loved this! I guess since he was their "project child", it made it even more exciting when he wanted to go see them. They are all such sweet ladies and I'm going to miss having them as Barrett's teachers. Hopefully it won't be too long until we're seeing them again with a new little one. Of course, our church isn't that big. We still run into each other in the hall...but you know what I mean.

I love love these ladies! Here's Barrett, Amy, and Leslie.


Amy was actually late for church one Sunday because she took time to fix her hair down. She had noticed that Barrett liked to play with her hair and didn't want to come to church with her hair up. I'd call that sacrifice! I still can't believe that she fixed her hair a certain way because of our child! Leslie is in charge of the nursery department. She does an amazing job and was one of the key players in getting Barrett to like his class.

As I was taking Barrett to the toddler class last Sunday, Julie (the main teacher in the Cradle Roll) ran down the hall after me and said, "No! They can't have Barrett! He's mine!!!" She is so sweet. For my Kansas friends, her personality reminds me of my friend Sarah E. She has such a passion for teaching these little ones and the love of Jesus just oozes out of her. This isn't the best picture of her (both of her eyes are usually all the way open! lol), but I wanted a picture of her for my blog book. Julie's husband, David, helps in the nursery on Wednesday nights and he called Barrett his "little buddy".


Here is a poem that was handed out at church yesterday. Julie wrote this poem.


I know that Barrett probably won't remember his time in the Cradle Roll class...but it's a time that Mike and I will never forget. We thank God for so many amazing women (and men) who love our little boy like their own. What a blessing they have been!

3 comments:

Wendi said...

He was such a doll in the toddler class this morning! :)

GG said...

I am so proud of Barrett. Staci, when I look at his pictures now, I see you at his age. He really looks like his mom. I like their pictures out in the cold weather. They seem to have so much fun every day.

Leave It To Davis said...

You won't believe this, but I remember Miss Vaughan (she wasn't Vaughan then, but I don't remember her maiden name) being so sweet to me in the nursery on W. Ave. G. She was my teacher there, and I guess because I always saw her at church from the time I can remember anything at all until now, I still remember her in that nursery. People just never realize what affect they have on our lives by such a small thing as being a Sunday school teacher. I saw her in the hospital hall one Sunday recently, and stopped her and said hello. Of course, she didn't remember me at first, but after I told her who I was, she did. Thank God for all kinds of teachers, but especially special ones that have lots of love and patience!