Saturday, January 16, 2010

Answering His Call - Part II

(Start at the beginning Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII,Part VIII)

September 20, 2009 - I surprised Mike with a birthday trip to Grapevine complete with steak dinner and a night in a hotel. On Sunday, Tyler and Ann had us and Morgon & Lauren over for breakfast and then we went to church together at The Village Church. Their preacher, Matt Chandler, is a gifted speaker and really has a way of making God's word clear and easy to understand. You can listen to his sermon from that day by clicking on this link (download the MP3 or the transcript for the 9/20/09 sermon). The worship service at The Village was amazing. I loved to just close my eyes and worship God as we sang together.

I sat there soaking in every word that Matt spoke that day. The sermon was very convicting. He talked about how we, as believers, should be growing more and more like Christ. It was an awesome message (from what I hear, every sermon he preaches is amazing. He can really use our prayers as he is now suffering from cancer.) Anyways, he got to a part in his message where he told us a story that went something like this:

"I'm what you'd call tight. I don't like to spend money. My wife and I save up our money before we purchase something so that we don't have to take a loan. We had been saving for several years to buy new floors for our home. When we had just about saved all the money we needed, I began to feel like God was wanting me to use the money for something else. I didn't really know how he wanted me to use it yet, so my first inclination was to tell my wife and kids, 'Get in the car! We need to go to the flooring store NOW and buy this flooring before God shows me how he's really wanting me to use this money!'"

Matt when on to talk about how he realized that wasn't the right attitude to have. He repented of the sinfulness of his heart, turned to God and asked God how it was that he wanted to use him. Matt talked about how wicked his heart was in that moment...when he could only focus on his desires rather than the desires or will of God.

Now I know that this sermon had nothing to do with adoption and you may wonder where I'm going with this....but in that moment it was like God was sitting next to me in church and speaking directly to me. This was how the conversation (in my head) went.

God - I may have spoken to Matt Chandler by telling him to use his money to help spread the gospel...but I'm asking something different of you. I want you to adopt.

Me - Well, that's not what I want.

God - I didn't ask if that's what you want. I've been telling you for some time that I want you to adopt, and like Matt wanting to rush out to buy the flooring, you've been ignoring me!

Me - But, I want to have another baby that looks like me and Mike.

God - Do you look like me?

Me - No. No matter how hard I try, I still fail in that area.

God - Didn't I adopt you into my family?

Me - Yes. And I'm forever grateful.

God - Then why does it matter if this child doesn’t look like you? You don't look like me and I love you so much that I sacrificed my Son for you.

Me - But, adoption is so expensive.

God - I will provide.

Me - But, our insurance is so good. It wouldn't cost that much to have another baby. It would cost thousands of dollars to adopt a baby!

God - I will provide. There is a child that I want to be a part of your family. This child needs a loving home. A home that will teach this child about my Son.

Me - It's still not what I want to do.

God - I love you. I know the plans I have prepared for you. I want you to adopt.

Me - *insert whiny voice* I don't want to!!!

God - I want you to adopt.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm very interested to learn where God is taking you on this journey!

Ann Hastings said...

Isn't amazing how God can speak to us in moments where we wouldn't expect it, by using someone else's example of how God spoke to them or by someone else exposing their wicked heart!
I am so blessed that we've been able to share our struggles, walks in faith and prayers together!
I love you- can't wait to reat Part III :)

Jessica Schmidt said...

You and Mike are amazing people and are/will be wonderful parents. I admire your willingness to share your heart, desires, fears, and faith. Look forward to reading more!

Unknown said...

Listen to God - He would never lead us in the wrong direction. He knows what is best and He knows Mike and you could provide the spiritual blessings to an adoptive child that they might other wise not have. God IS SO GOOD. He has a plan for each one of us and I believe this is yours. I love yall and pray for you.

Shelly said...

Love this....I'll be praying for you guys. His ways are certainly not our ways.

Julie Little said...

Love!