Friday, January 22, 2010

13 going on 30

On January 24, 1993 I turned 13 years old. My mom came up with a birthday present idea that she thought would be a great mother/daughter event. For my birthday I received a makeover. Mom and I went to the home of a lady who specialized in make up. She did my colors and figured out what make up worked with my skin tones. She also showed me how to use make up and sent me home with a bag of make up (base, blush, eye shadows, etc).

What 13 year old girl wouldn't love this birthday present? A girl named Staci! This was my attitude at 13...


I had fun playing with my brothers. Yes, some of my friends at school had begun to wear make up...but I was not one that was in a hurry to look like a teenager! I was very gracious to my mom and to the make up lady during the makeover (little did they know I was holding back tears). I got home and hurried to my room with the bag of makeup. I then shut the door and started crying! I realized that this was one gift that I couldn't pretend to like. I remember walking into Mom's room crying and her asking me "what's wrong?" I remember saying, "I don't want to wear makeup! I don't like the feel on my face." She was very loving (she didn't even let on if she was disappointed) and she took me in her arms and told me that it was ok. She said that I didn't have to wear the make up if I didn't want. She told me that she had thought it would be something that I would like. I felt terrible for not liking my birthday present...but I was glad that I was honest and expressed my feelings to Mom.

Little did she know that she would have to wait until I was turning 30 before I'd willingly ask for such a present! That's right. When Dad & Mom asked what I wanted for my birthday this year I told them that I wanted to get Bare Minerals make up. Mom was excited to make a day of it and go with me to get a makeover (and tutorial) at the Bare Minerals store in the mall.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to make up, so I may have felt a little like Cleopatra when the lady put eyeliner on my eyes (the make up lady couldn't help but laugh when I said that because she'd used the very thinnest brush and applied the smallest amount possible)...but I had fun learning how to use the new makeup and am actually excited to start using it on a daily basis.
Thanks, Mom, for being patient...and for waiting 17 years for me to enjoy the present that was intended for my 13th birthday!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures of y'all when you were 13. You are right, most girls can't wait to start using makeup. I want to see a picture of the "new you."

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I was smiling the whole time reading this post- as I am all of yours! That would had been a dream present for me at 13! lol I have so much makeup that I just bought myself a caboodle to put just what I use daily in. Corey said people really still buy caboodles?

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve and Joan said...

I love the boys' expressions in those "13" photos. In the first one Tyler must have been either upset or trying to look tough. The second one I laughed at Staci's look - it says "Little brothers can be so silly!"

Mom said...

Thanks for letting me be part of the fun yesterday.

Leave It To Davis said...

This is exciting! Of course, you were beautiful without makeup, but knowing how much better Ginger and I look with makeup, I can only imagine how breathtaking you will be! You have passed into the final frontier.....

Leave It To Davis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leave It To Davis said...

Happy birthday on the 24th!! I can't believe you will be thirty.....I can remember the day your dad called me at the Medicine Chest to tell me you were born. He was sooooooo excited!!!!!

Paula said...

Well Stace, this is one post I am surprised about--and totally CANNOT relate to. (How's that for a dangling participle.)

Now I can't wait to see the new look. I guess you know wearing makeup is a habit--just like working out. In the beginning, it's novel and fun but then it's hard to keep after it. Fortunately, if you do, it becomes a habit and eventually, you feel weird without it.

Chris said...

Happy Birthday young'un!

Shelly said...

Oh my goodness! I've missed soo much on your blog! Trying to catch up! HAPPY (late) BIRTHDAY! Welcome to the club (3-0). And I love the flashback pics. Thanks for sharing all this!