Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Date with Daddy

For Valentine's Day we made Brody a coupon book. One off the coupons was for a date with Daddy. Last Thursday Brody asked me if he could use his coupon to go on a date with Daddy. I told him he could ask Daddy if it was a good time. Since it was 7:30 am and Mike was already at work, Brody insisted on calling him right then to ask. The conversation went something like this:

Brody: Hi Daddy! Can I use my coupon for a date with Daddy?
Mike: Sure! When do you want to go?
Brody: Hmmm. Tomorrow night?
Mike: I think we can do that. What do you want to do?
Brody: I want to go to Ft. Worth and see your office!

Seems like a random request, but not if you know how much this boy loves his daddy! Every day I hear about how someday Brody wants to work in Fort Worth in an office right next to Daddy's. Mike agreed that it would be fun to take Brody to see his office and this put Brody on cloud nine! On Friday Brody woke up really early and then couldn't sleep during nap time because he was so excited about his date! He kept getting up and looking out the window to see if Mike was home from work yet! I finally let him get up and I helped him get dressed for his big date.

Then, of course, I asked him if he wanted me to take his picture before he left. A son after my own heart, he said "yes! But let's go outside to take it!" Ahhh. Love that boy!

Mike arrived home to an even more enthusiastic greeting that normal (which is hard to do) and then he and Brody were off for their evening together. (This is Brody telling me "I love you". I'm pretty sure that he was ready to just get in the car and go!)

Here's what I know of their date night. They went to Cabela's first (Brody fell asleep on the way...guess it finally caught up with him!) and ate dinner there. They spent time looking at some of the toys and picked out a new nerf ball gun (not sure what it's really called) for Brody along with some new arrows (that he'll have to earn by doing chores). After Cablea's they headed for Fort Worth.

Brody was very excited to tell me all about Fort Worth.

"We drove to Daddy's parking garage and you keep driving up and around and up and around until you're all the way to the top. We parked on the ROOF!!!!"

I asked him if he got to see how Mike' magnetic key works (that opens doors at work...almost daily Brody asks Mike how it works).

"Yes! I got to USE it to unlock the door! I got to do it!" (obviously a very exciting event)

When I asked him if he got to see Mike's office he replied, "Yes. I got to sit at his desk and there were pictures of me there. You can look out Daddy's window and see a bunch of lights (Mike wanted to wait and take Brody there after dark so they could see all the lights of the city). Daddy also had a big paper airplane that he made for me and put it on top of his desk so that the cleaning ladies wouldn't throw it away."



I asked him if he got to see the break room/kitchen where Daddy can eat lunch or cook his food and Brody said, "I saw it...and I got to get some apple juice!" (He told me about the apple juice like it was something sneaky that they had done...and he wasn't sure if he should tell me! lol)

Mike said that it was too windy and cold to walk around downtown, so after seeing the office they headed home. They made a quick stop at Braums on their way...and were so kind to remember me and bring me some ice cream!

It was definitely a night that Mike and Brody won't forget anytime soon. I'm so thankful that my boys love their daddy so much...of course it's not hard to love the world's best daddy!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

He is the "best" daddy. Aww, it was so sweet to share all that he does with Brody. I am so thankful you met and married such a wonderful husband and daddy.

Gmommy said...

Such a beautiful story. I am sure Brody will always remember his "date" with his dad. Mike is such a good daddy!!!

Steve and Joan said...

Mike is the best daddy that Brody and Barrett could ever have! Keep up the good work you two!

Daddy Steve

Ginger said...

That's sweet.

Leave It To Davis said...

My daddy took me to work with him at the Steakley car lot one day. There was Kiddy Land across the street from there, and after looking at it all day, he took me there to ride the tiny ferris wheel. I have never forgotten that day. No one would give him a nickel for me. He kept trying to sell me to everyone that came and looked at cars. :)

Anonymous said...

He is just so sweet! Isnt it great how precious the little things in life are to a child.

Sara Pearce Buckman

GG said...

I believe that is the first time that I have ever heard of anyone asking someone for a date and then going to sleep just as soon as they get in the car. However. Brody seems to have a lot of firsts in his young life

Rebecca said...

What a good idea. Will we be able to see what the other coupons are throughout the year?!?