Thursday, May 21, 2009

Metamorphosis of a 2 1/2 year old

Have you ever said, "It's burnin' up in here?" It's a common phrase which means "it's hot"! The other day Brody kept telling me he was burnin' out. I asked if he meant burnin up and he said, "No, I'm burnin' out!" After a few minutes I gave up reasoning with him about the fact that the saying is "burnin' up" rather than "burnin' out". This morning he said, "Mommy. I'm burnin' up! Can we turn the fan on?" I said, "You're burnin' up?" His response? "Yes! Some days I burn up and other days I burn out. Today I'm burnin' up!" lol!!!

Today was his last day of Sonshine Bible School. Before we walked out the door Brody grabbed my hand and said, "When I get to school I'm gonna tell my teachers about metamorphosis!" (I just had to look up how to even spell metamorphosis!) It took my brain a minute to remember what that big word meant...actually, when my 2 1/2 year old began to explain metamorphosis to me (he told about a caterpillar becoming a butterfly...something Mike's been reading about in a book with Brody) I thought "duh! I should've remembered that!" I don't know if he remembered to tell his teachers about metamorphosis, but I was impressed that he could pronounce it much less tell me what it is!

Now go from telling me the process of metamorphosis to his end of year program tonight at preschool! See Brody? (second from the left)

Yep. He stood there the entire time. He didn't do the hand signals or sing (although I thought I kinda saw his lips moving a few times). The picture below was the biggest smile we got out of him while he was on stage!

Kids are funny like that. Hey, is that kind of like reverse metamorphosis? He went from a 2 1/2 year old that talks like he's in elementary school...to a kid who doesn't even sing "The Wheels on the Bus"!
I can't believe that it's already summer time! Brody LOVED school this year. He tells me stories all the time about Mrs. Amy, Mrs. Jessica, and all his friends. I don't think that he realizes that he won't be going back for a few months. I'm guessing he'll be sad next week when he figures this out. Maybe I'll have to distract him with swimming lessons in our new pool!

6 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

Too cute- he's so smart, it amazes me each time I am around him :) Yeah for swim lessons, good idea!

Amy said...

I miss that sweet boy already!! I Love You, Brody!
Ms. Amy

Jamie said...

Awww! So sweet!This is such a fun age. I really want a full time toddler that never grows!

Mom said...

You forgot one thing --- When he came off the stage and came to sit with Mommy and Daddy, the first thing he said was, "I didn't sing."

Paula said...

Staci, you have the best sense of humor and perspective about raising kids. Brody and Barrett are two lucky guys.

Leave It To Davis said...

What adorable pictures! Brody is just growing up too fast! He is the most handsome boy on stage!