Friday, February 13, 2009

Sleepless in Texas

It's been a rough few days here. Barrett just hasn't been himself the past few days. He's usually a very happy little boy. In fact, he typically smiles most of the time that he's awake. The past few days there have been more tears than he's cried in his entire life! He's been congested, chews on his hands all the time, drools, and yesterday started coughing. I just chalked it all up to the idea that he might be getting his first tooth. Last night the fever started. I gave him Tylenol before bed. We heard coughing, but he kept sleeping. We went to bed around 10:45 and at 11:18 pm Barrett woke up crying. I went in and soothed him back to sleep. The sleep lasted about 30 minutes, then he was crying again. This happened over and over...only the sleep time got shorter and shorter. Finally around 1:45 am I just got up and sat on the couch in the living room holding him. He felt hot and seemed so uncomfortable. He didn't want me to lay him down (or lay down myself), so I sat up all night caressing and holding him.

Around 6 am I passed him off to Mike so I could drive up the street to borrow my parents' thermometer (ours isn't working right). He did have a fever (no big surprise), but I can't remember what it was (must be the lack of sleep). Mom called me and suggested taking Barrett to her so that I could sleep until Brody woke up. I took her up on her offer. I slept hard for about 1.5 hours until Brody woke up. When I called Mom she said that Barrett's temp was 101 and that he cried hard when she tugged on his ear. DUH! Why didn't I think about an ear infection!!! Maybe it's because Brody's only had one ear infection and he was old enough to say, "My ear hurts!" I felt like a terrible mom for not thinking of this sooner!

The doctor diagnosed Barrett with an ear infection and gave us an antibiotic and ear drops. I didn't work this afternoon. I just brought the boys back home. Brody was great today...happy and very energetic! Barrett cried most of the day (I think he was crying every time Mike called). Mike stopped by the grocery store on his way home and got a frozen pizza, chocolate (he knew I'd "need" it tonight), and cinnamon rolls for tomorrow morning. What a life saver!! Then he cuddled with baby Barrett while I did a few things around the house.

Barrett is sleeping now. I'm hoping that when he wakes up, he'll eat and then go back to sleep for the night. I'm praying that the meds will help and that everyone will get some rest tonight!

As tired and drained as I am, in a strange way I enjoyed having an all-nighter with my son. He doesn't usually cuddle with me (he wants to be on the floor in the middle of all the action with his brother), so it was nice to just sit there and hold him and thank God for the precious gift of baby Barrett.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Don't feel bad...Anna had a DOUBLE ear infection about 2 months ago and I didn't figure it out for several days (for some reason she never told me her ears hurt). She would be up all night seemingly asleep but screaming. It was awful.
I hope he gets better soon and you all get some sleep!

Jenny Rizer said...

Sleepless nights with sick babies are rough. Glad to hear you can look at it as a time to appreciate snuggling with Barrett. Hope you get more sleep tonight! :) And you go Mike...what a great hubby!

Anonymous said...

Barrett even fell asleep in my arms. That never happens! You don't like him to be sick, but getting to hold him is some consolation.