Sunday, March 09, 2008

Surprise Visit

On Friday we went to Temple to surprise Daddy Ken and Grandmommy with a visit. We didn't want them to know we were coming because then we knew that Grandmommy would clean her house and make food...and she already has enough on her plate! They were shocked when we rang the doorbell and they opened the door to find us standing there!

Daddy Ken tried on his hat for Brody and Brody thought it was so cool! So Daddy Ken let Brody wear Grandmommy's straw hat that's kinda like his. On Friday night, Cindy, Ginger, Brady, Sharon, & Sheila all came over for chicken fajitas (Mom brought all the stuff with us to make dinner). It was YUMMY!!!! We had so much fun talking...and I LOVED getting to see and hold McKenna for the first time!

I caught Brody using his drill on Ginger. He thought he was pretty funny.

While Grandmommy was holding McKenna, Brody kept going over to her and saying, "Hold baby?!" Then he'd pull on McKenna's leg. Ginger was kind enough to let Brody have a turn holding her 9 week old little girl. He did a good job holding her and was busy studying all her features (hands, eyes, nose, mouth, head, etc). The only bad thing is when he tries to point out her eyes to us! We need to work on that...

Everything was going great until bedtime on Friday night. We put Brody to bed in his pack-n-play...but all of us forgot about stopping the grandfather clock in that room! It chimes every 15 minutes! By 11:15 pm he was crying and wide awake. I went in there and tried to soothe him back to sleep...but it wasn't working. Every time I tried to leave the room he'd start crying louder and louder for me. At home, I would've let him cry for a little while and he probably would've gone back to sleep...but I knew how much Daddy Ken and Grandmommy needed their sleep and didn't want him to wake them! Dad offered to rock him for a little while. I went and laid down in bed, but 15 minutes later I heard him crying for me again. I finally just laid down on the couch with him in that room. I think there were several factors affecting his inability to sleep. I think that his teeth may have been bothering him (another top front tooth poked thru on Saturday morning), but I think that he was also homesick. He would cry and say, "Daddy home!" or "Trevor home" or "Remy home" or even just "home" in such a sad voice! We have never slept in the same bed as Brody, so I'm guessing that's another reason I couldn't get him to sleep on the couch with me. By 3:30 am I was almost at my wits end! We BOTH needed sleep! I decided that I was just gonna have to let him cry for a little bit. I told him it was time to go night night. Then I went thru the ritual of telling something night night. Usually we're telling people or puppies night night...but there wasn't anyone else in the room. So, we told the couch and chair night night. Then I laid him in bed, kissed him, and left the room. Much to my surprise, he went right to sleep!

Saturday morning Namaw, Grandmommy, Brody, and I went to Target & Sam's. Brody had a total meltdown at Target (hmmm...couldn't be due to the lack of sleep could it?!? lol), so after we ran in Sam's to get diapers we decided we needed to take him back home. Ginger met us at Sam's so Namaw and Grandmommy took Brody, McKenna, and Brady with them and sent Ginger and I out by ourselves to spend some time together!
Here are a few pics they took while Ginger and I were out. This is Brody playing with his golf club.

I think Brady and Brody played outside for an hour or two...just hitting the golf ball back and forth!

Daddy Steve decided to start up the riding mower to cut the grass. Brody couldn't be more thrilled!!!

Ginger and I had fun together. We went to a few stores, ate a good lunch, and talked and laughed the whole time.
We headed back home on Saturday evening. We really enjoyed our visit and the time that we got to spend with family!

10 comments:

Laura said...

Sorry Brody didn't sleep well, but it sounds like everything else was great! It's always nice spending time with family!

Amy said...

What a nice visit, even if you didn't get much sleep.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're getting to spend more time with your family!

Jo Faye and Ken - Happy Together! said...

The surprise visit from our family could not have been a better birthday present for Daddy Ken. It perked him up, even though he would have to go to bed and rest often. It was a wonderful time and so very thoughtful of everyone. It did our hearts good to see everyone having so much fun together. And the food was great. Thanks to everyone for making this a special time. Thanks for the post, Staci.

Ann Hastings said...

SO glad that you enjoyed your time in Temple, I know everyone was excited to see you, Brody, Steve and Joan!

Anna said...

What a fun surprise! Brody is such a great little man! Glad you are enjoying your family and having them so close!

Unknown said...

What a great surprise! It sounds like fun...minus the whole up all night thing.

Jessica said...

Such nice memories you guys are making. And Mike will be rejoining thema before you know it. :)

Ginger said...

I had so much fun w/you Staci! Brody can hold my little girl any time he wants...he was wonderful w/her. Love y'all!

Ledbetter Fam said...

So sorry you missed out on sleep!!! It looks like you guys had a great time and Daddy Ken and Grandmommy both look so happy!

JB