Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Smells of Home

When Mike and I were first dating, we'd spend time studying in our dorm's lobby. One night we went down there to watch a movie. After the movie was over he grabbed my pillow and told me he'd be right back. When he returned he wouldn't tell me what he did when he left! It wasn't until I laid my head down to go to sleep that I realized what he'd done. He had gone up to his room and sprayed some of his cologne on my pillow. It was so exhilarating going to sleep smelling his cologne!

Last night I was wishing that I had that pillow, or a shirt, or anything that smelled like Mike. Something that made me feel like he was right there in bed with me. I stay so busy during the day that it's easy to not focus on the separation...but the nights are hard.

Tonight as I put Brody to bed I turned on his humidifier for the first time since we moved to Texas. Immediately I was back in his room in Kansas. I wanted to sit down for a minute and just close my eyes and pretend that I was home. Instead...I choked back tears, kissed him goodnight, and turned out the lights.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

aww....Staci...I am praying for you every day. I know this whole living apart thing is going to be hard, but you will make it! Only a few weeks until spring break-and make sure and spray your pillow with some of his cologne. :)

suzspeaks said...

ohh staci! I was thinking just what Megan wrote. This breaks my heart for you, I'm praying for you too. Hang in there!

Ann Hastings said...

What kind of cologne does he wear, maybe you should get a travel size so you can spray it on your pillow...

We are praying for you and Mike- we know it's got to be so hard.

Anna said...

Staci, I know its hard for you and Mike to be apart...We are praying for you...Only a couple more weeks and you will see him!

RaeAnn said...

When Scott and I were in college and apart, I used to spray my pillow with his cologne. It just brings them a little closer, at least so you can go to sleep. I hope the next few days go by fast so that you can be with Mike again.

Anonymous said...

Oh girl....I can't imagine. But instead of cologne on a pillow, you have an either better reminder now--a kick within the belly! Now that's real proof that Mike has been there.

Amy said...

I'm praying for you guys Stac!

Rebecca said...

I remember what may have been your first difficult separation when you were leaving for Trek and Mike was staying to work with the rest of the youth group. It's almost like you guys have come full circle. I'm glad you're staying busy during the day at least.

Ledbetter Fam said...

Staci, I hope that you guys are able to spend some good time with each other during spring break!!! I know you are missing Mike, but I also understand that you are missing "home" too. I am praying for you that this time apart and this transition to living in TX will be smooth and that it the feeling of "transition" will be gone soon!!! I love you!!! Would you like to find some time to spend together soon? I would like that. :)

JB

Terah said...

Praying for you...that God will fill your empty places. I'm all choked up with you, feeling what you feel. Just remember this: He is faithful and will strengthen you, your marriage, and your faith through this trial.

Jamie said...

Your time apart will only make your time together that much more special. I know that's easy to say though! Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Awww...this post made me sad for you! I will be praying for you!

Holli's Kansas Adventures said...

Hope it gets easier for you! I know how hard that can be. Just know, every day you make it through is one less you need to worry with. One day at a time.

Julie said...

Sweet Staci. Charles and I have moved several times and it just takes little things like that to make you wish you were back home. I try to tell myself that God gives us those moments of longing to to remind us to long for His home and so that we won't mourn what we left behind, but rejoice that He was faithful to provide a place we loved and will do it again.