Friday, March 23, 2007

State Inspection

Yesterday we took a group of local school kids on a field trip to All-Star Sports in Wichita. I was a little worried about how Brody was going to do since there wouldn't be anywhere to lay him down for a nap. He did great! He slept in the car on the way there (I drove rather than riding the bus) and even took a little nap in the backpack while I was walking around checking on the kids.

The excitement of the day came as I was driving home. There's a small town that I drive thru on my way home from Wichita that is known for being a speed trap. I NEVER speed thru Nickerson. The cops there are ruthless. An 86-year-old woman that used to work for us got a ticket for going 32 in a 30 thru that town! Ruthless! So I was surprised as I pulled out of Nickerson and saw lights flashing behind me. I was talking to Mom on the phone and told her there was no way this cop was pulling me over for speeding and I had no clue why he was pulling me over! I hung up the phone, pulled over, and rolled down my window. The State Trooper walked up to my window, asked for my drivers license and insurance, and then asked me to roll my window back up halfway. He pulled out a device that he stuck on my window and then asked me to roll down my back window halfway. I had to take off the baby window shade (waking up Brody who started crying) to roll it down. He stuck the device to that window too and then proceeded to tell me that my FACTORY windows are tinted too dark!!! He tells me that it's a $96 ticket and I need to get it fixed! Then he went to his car with all my info. Five minutes later he comes back and gives me a warning. He reminds me again that I'm driving an illegal car because of the window tinting and tells me to get it fixed as soon as possible because if I get stopped again for it I'll get a ticket!

Is Kansas really that safe of a state where all the State Troopers have to do is stop young moms to tell them that their window tinting is too dark?!?!? I called my parents back and Dad asks, "Didn't they test that during your state inspection?" Nope. Kansas doesn't have state inspections (guess they know all the farm trucks would fail an emissions test!). So Dad looked it up on the internet and KS law requires 35% visibility on ALL windows of your car (not just the drivers window). Just thought I'd let all my fellow Kansans in on this so that you can hurry out and get your windows tested ;)

When I got home last night I told Mike, "You don't need to worry about getting a state inspection on our car. I took care of it today." He just gave me a confused look.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you didn't have tinted windows the State Trooper would see the baby and quit trying to hit on you! Its gotta be rough being a cute young thing in the middle of nowhere.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is definitely the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! That guy has WAY too much time on his hands to be pulling you over for that!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the Highland Village cops out here! Matt was pulled over the other day in his silver Acura NSX for no apparent reason. The cop asked if he was driving a yellow lamborgini. No kidding. After an awkward few minutes, the cop just let him go. (It was much easier to respect law enforcement when the only cop I knew was Officer Lee from PR!) I'm just glad the Kansas trooper allowed you to keep custody of Brody after such a severe safety violation. ;)

Anonymous said...

That's amazing. I had no idea!

Julie said...

that truly is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. get a life. surely there are some underage kids trying to buy cigarettes somewhere or SOMETHING more illegal than your slightly too dark window.

laura said...

That sounds like Dalworthington Gardens. Some cops are nutzo. I had my state inspection recently and my windows are tinted 2% under the legal limit. I asked if that was a problem since they weren't over the legal limit and they said technically they are supposed to be 3% or more under. You would think if they were under the legal limit it would be legal! Some rules!

Unknown said...

Ridiculous! I would have had a difficult time not laughing when the cop announced the violation. I agree with Julie, surely there was some worse offense taking place while he wasted his time on your windows.