Saturday, March 17, 2007

Onion Goggles

On Dad & Mom's blog, Dad wrote about their trip to Kansas. In one of his posts he said that Mom and I were "sitting on the couch laughing hysterically". Some of you may have wondered what was so funny. Yes...it was late (and we all know how silly Mom gets when it's late)...but we were laughing about something specific.

Mom was reading one of my Rachel Ray magazines and she came across this article: It talked about the best ways to keep from crying while cutting an onion. This was significant because earlier in the day I cut up a whole onion and was crying so hard I couldn't see!!! It was a strong onion! The article said that the onion goggles were the only effective way to cut up an onion "tear free". Mom (being the ingenious person that she is) said that rather than spending $20 on onion goggles....maybe swim goggles would work! We were crying we were laughing so hard imagining Mike walking in from work to find me cutting up an onion wearing swim goggles!!!! (You've gotta admit it makes you laugh too!)

Well....last week I had to cut up an onion. Mike was feeding Brody and didn't notice me disappear to our closet to retrieve my swim goggles. He turned around to tell me that Brody was done with his food (and ready to nurse) and found me cutting up an onion with swim goggles on. He started laughing really hard and asked me what in the world I was doing. I tried to tell him it was Rachel Ray's idea (anything she says about cooking is faultless in his mind)...but he still thought I was crazy! In fact...when I asked him to take my picture so that I could blog about it...he refused. I think his exact comment was, "Embarrass yourself on someone else's blog!" So I set up the tripod and took my own picture :)

You know what's really cool about this story? IT WORKS! The onion that I'm cutting in this picture is VERY strong! Mike was crying EATING it last night...but with my "onion goggles" on...it didn't even phase me!

So if you find swim goggles in my utensil drawer...you'll know why :)

11 comments:

laura said...

that's actually a really good idea! i hate to cut up onions. mike should have taken your picture. i think you look pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

my favorite part is definitely that you set up a tripod and took your picture! I love it! That is a great idea...you sure look silly, but it's a great idea! I think you are going to start a onion goggle revolution!

Anonymous said...

oh, and i forgot to say that Derek likes your kitchen. and to answer your question from my blog, our house has 4 bedrooms. One of them is supposed to be an office, I think. It has French doors on one side and a normal door on the other. It's smaller than the other rooms, but it could totally work as a bedroom.

Steve and Joan said...

Wow! That onion is strong. My eyes were watering just reading your blog!

Thanks for taking the photo! Mom is going to laugh again when she reads it in the morning. She's already asleep. I've been finishing studying for my lesson in the morning. We love you!

Oh, you do look really cool with the goggles on. I think it's fashionable not just practical.

Dad

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been there to see Mike's face when he turned around!

Sapphire, Dana, Karalee & Alastair said...

LOL! That's hilarious but if it helps I'm all for it! I'm with your mom and wish I could have seen Mike's face when he turned around! Lol :-)

Sapphire

Amy said...

Too funny! Loved the pic and thanks for the goggle tip :)

Cindi Koceich said...

This is most definitely going to be something I have to try out!
BTW...I love your kitchen too!!

RaeAnn said...

That's funny! One of these days Brody will be wearing goggles helping you cook because he's been watching you!

Anonymous said...

Glenn Johnson says he has been using swim goggles for years to cut onions!

Rebecca said...

You could totally star in "The Fly" part 2!!!