Sunday, December 13, 2009

White Rock 2009

In 1998 I crossed the finish line of the White Rock Marathon and fell into an embrace with my dad. The first words out of my mouth to were, "The next time I do this it will be as a volunteer at a water station!"

Eleven years later I found myself heading out to the White Rock as a participant...but this time it was for the relay. One of my friends at the gym, Tiffany, lost a team member (due to an injured knee) and asked me to be the replacement. Here are our two teams (minus 3 players who still hadn't arrived when I had to board the bus to go to my starting point).

Tiffany assigned me the shortest leg (4 miles) and Kristy as a running partner (who is not a fast paced runner). This made the race very enjoyable! I didn't break a sweat or even get out of breath! Not a very competitive way to run a race...but it was a lot of fun. I talked to Kristy and tried to encourage her the whole time. I found out that she went to Harding (meaning some of you may recognize her?!)

Susan and Michelle (two ladies from my gym) passed the baton off to us. We were happy to see them coming. It was a little chilly and we were ready to start running so we'd warm up!

We finished our 4 miles in 50 minutes (a personal best for Kristy) and then took the bus back to the American Airlines Center.

Being out at a big race like the White Rock made me miss road races. Some of the ladies who ran the 1/2 marathon are trying to convince me to do the Cowtown with them in February. Today it sounds fun....but I guess only time will tell if I'll be crazy enough to say yes!

3 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

YAY- good job Staci- so glad y'all had fun! I lot of my friends ran it today as well!

Rebecca said...

The choir teacher at my school wanted some of us to do the marathon with him. I told him if I could do my part on the eliptical on a flatbed while someone slowly drove me, sure...otherwise...have fun.

Glad you had such a good time, and it wasn't too hard.

Ginger said...

Great job! Love the last pic! lol!