Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Flare Up

My feet have been hurting me for several years now. I think it started when I was pregnant with Brody. I complain about them every day and finally Mike told me to go to the podiatrist. I was afraid to go because I thought he'd give me orthodics, tell me to wear them all day every day, and instruct me to never again wear cute shoes.

Two weeks ago I had my first appointment. The doctor diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis. I was right in that he basically said I can only wear cute shoes for a short time (like going on a date) and that I need to wear shoes like tennis shoes on a daily basis (even around the house at night). He put me on an oral steroid and told me to come back in 2 weeks.

Yesterday I went back. There had been no change in the pain in my feet. He gave me 2 options: 1) Get a shot in each foot (I had just heard a lady in the next room getting one and she sounded like she was in labor! Kinda freaked me out a little bit!) 2) Go to physical therapy 3x a week for 3 weeks. He told me that they both produced the same outcome (reduced inflammation) and that the physical therapy only had a 50/50 chance of working. When he told me that, the choice was obvious. Endure a few seconds of pain or fit 9 PT sessions in my schedule and possibly still end up getting a shot?!? I opted for the shots. I was surprised that they weren't that bad at all. It was a small stick and then I felt some intense heat as the medicine spread...but one a 1-10 scale (of course, 10 is always childbirth) it was only a 3.

I left the dr's office with numb feet and headed straight to The Runner for the recommended orthodics. By the time I got to work, the numbness had worn off, but my feet were so painful I could hardly walk! I hobbled to my desk and stayed there most of the afternoon. I finally called the dr's office before I left work to ask if this was normal (the nurse had told me the shots had given her instant relief). My dr said that I was probably suffering from a flare up. Great! He said to go home, take some anti-inflammatory and Tylenol, prop my feet up and ice them.

Around 6:30 I was finally able to follow his orders (after going to CVS for meds for me and Barrett and stopping at Little Caesars for a pizza). Mike took the boys to the other room and played with them until bedtime. Then he gave them their baths and put them to bed. I was so thankful to him for letting me just sit there and keep my feet up.

This morning my feet are feeling somewhat better. I can walk around at a normal pace. They don't, however, feel any better than before I went to the dr. In fact, I think they're still worse. I go back in 2 weeks. If they're not better, he'll give me another shot (oh joy!). Two weeks after that if they haven't improved then he'll send me to physical therapy and give me a third shot. If that doesn't work...either I live with it forever or I have surgery to clean up the plantar facia. I'm praying it doesn't get to that point...because I think I'd rather have surgery than live with this for another 50 years!

9 comments:

Steve and Joan said...

I'm so sorry your feet are hurting! I sure hope and pray the treatment works and gives you relief soon so you can chase those boys around!

Dad

Jamie said...

Oh Staci, so sorry you have this. My MIL has it and has tried all of the things you mentioned except for the surgery. She is on the live with the pain plan right now. Here is hoping and praying that the shots start working for you!

Leave It To Davis said...

Nanmama had some sort of foot problems like that. One time when Ginger and I took some stuff over to her house, she came out to the car, almost in tears, and told us that she felt like there were pins and needles in her feet when she walked. She was sure tough, because not long after, when I was driving down Adams going somewhere, I passed her on the overpass WALKING to Tuesday morning ladies Bible class. I always regretted not turning around and picking her up.....just in too big of a hurry going whereever I was going and didn't take the time. That will haunt me forever. I wish we had her medical record!

Ann Hastings said...

I am glad you've finally gone to the podiatrist- I know it sure helped me a few years ago- even though we don't have the same issue. I got sterroid shots, did the physical thearpy... never did go for the surgery option.
I hope that the sterriod shots and physical thearpy help- I will continue to pray for you... I hope it helps knowing I've been there too and I understand how frustrating and painfun it all is!
I love you!

Amy Godknecht said...

I feel your pain, literally! I have done the shots too. I also have one of those plastic coke bottles filled with ice that I roll my foot on at night. You tube has some pretty good stretches too. I have pretty much tried everything. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know how painful it is. Hope the shots help!!!

Wendi said...

So sorry to hear about that! Hope you can find relief soon.

Anonymous said...

Staci, sorry to hear about your feet - I also had a bad case of this 10 years ago - the best thing that I found that helped was wearing the "boots" at night.. I know it sounds crazy but it keeps your feet in the upward position while you sleep and it releases the tension in the feet. Just thought I would pass it on - they have the boots pretty reasonably - I still have one, but my hairdresser is borrowing it now! Sheila

Ginger said...

You poor thing. We are both falling apart. Hope it gets better soon.

Morgon and Lauren said...

SO sorry to hear about your feet! I hope the treatments work and they start to feel better. :)