Monday, November 23, 2009

Back to work

A week ago I called Vicky, one of the ladies who took my aerobics class when we lived in KS, and told her that I was going to be in town this week and was planning on coming to aerobics class Monday morning. She said she'd let the girls know. A few hours later I got an email from Trey (one of the new employees at the gym) saying, "The aerobics instructor is going to be out of town on Monday, but the aerobics ladies thought that you might want to teach?" I haven't taught aerobics since we moved (I just take someone else's class...it requires a lot less thought and preparation!), but I agreed to teach.

Last night I was laying in bed and realized that I hadn't made up a routine for class yet! I got out of bed at 11 pm and wrote a routine real quick so that I wouldn't think about it all night.

It's amazing how it felt like a normal Monday morning as I pulled up at the rec commission. I guess almost 8 years of pulling into the same parking space doesn't lose it's familiarity very quickly. Everything looked just as I'd left it. We walked down the well worn path to the front door of the fitness center remembering to step over the drain cover so it didn't clang and startle the person sitting in the office. They boys were excited to go to the play room and I headed to the aerobics room to get everything set up.

The ladies were a little worried when I started naming off all the equipment I needed them to collect to get ready to start class, but they got their stuff together and we were off running (well...stepping, lifting, lunging, curling, etc). It's crazy how I haven't taught in almost 2 years, but I picked back up just like I'd taught a class yesterday. We had a lot of fun...and I worked them pretty hard! I think they'll be sore tomorrow. What can I say? I wanted them to remember that I was there! lol

After class the boys and I talked with Junior for a little bit. Junior even took Brody upstairs to sweep the gym floor (they did this together every day when I worked there).

The office hasn't changed much.

There are still baby toys everywhere (Trey brings his kids to work with him sometimes).

Kids are still allowed in the weight room...well...maybe that's just my kids that were always in the weight room. Junior was showing Barrett how to use a row machine.

Around 11:00 we said goodbye to Junior and Trey and headed next door to have lunch with my good friend, Tina. I've really missed talking with her daily like I did before we moved. Life gets so busy and it's so easy to say "I'll email her tomorrow". I'm sure you know that tomorrow never comes! We had fun catching up and watching the boys play.

*Edit*
After we got home from Kansas Brody kept telling Namaw about eating lunch with Tina and Chip & Scout. Namaw had no idea who Chip or Scout were and asked Brody if one of those was Tina's husband (she couldn't remember Matt's name). Brody started laughing and said, "No! Those are her dogs!" I think he remembered Tina's dogs from when we lived in KS, so now I know he won't forget them!

1 comment:

Ann Hastings said...

It's so neat they asked you to come back to teach aerobics class!!! It sounds like you're getting to spend quality time with everyone you miss- so cool!