Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Plan

I'm 2.5 cm dilated! My cervix is "soft and ripe" according to my midwife. So here's the plan:

If I haven't gone into labor by my appointment next Thursday, she's going to strip my membranes {Wiki's definition: "Membrane sweep", also known as membrane stripping - during an internal examination, the midwife moves her finger around the cervix to stimulate and/or separate the membranes around the baby from the cervix. This causes a release of prostaglandins which can help to kick-start labor}. She said that she expects me to be dilated to a 3 or 4 by next week (based on my progression this past week and the current condition of my cervix). If that doesn't get labor started for me, she'll have me go to the hospital on Friday and they'll break my water. She thought that by breaking my water and having me walk around that labor would progress quickly. She said that if necessary they could give me some pitocin...but with the condition of my cervix she didn't think it would take very much pit to push me into active labor.

The good news is that my 2 favorite midwives are the ones on call next Thursday and Friday! The other good news is that I shouldn't be pregnant after next week! Just one more week. I can do it!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel - I remember how looooonng those last few weeks were. I can't wait to meet the new little guy!

Ledbetter Fam said...

Can't wait!!! I'm looking forward to our dinner tonight.

JB

Ann Hastings said...

SO exciting... I hope he comes early so I can see him right away, if not I'll just have to be paitent until I get back from Indiana!
Love you!

RyAnn said...

It is getting SO close!! I am so excited!! Keep us posted! BTW- You are just the cutest pregnant person!

laura said...

my birthday is next friday, june 27...so maybe we'll share the greatest day ever! hope you have a great last week and good luck with the coming birth.

o and robin williams is june 27 and paul berry. it's a great day! ha.

Steve and Joan said...

Grandson #2 is almost here!!! By the time he gets here I should know all the parks in town, thanks to Brody, so I'll be ready!

How long do you think it will be before he will be able to say "Park!"

Daddy Steve

Leave It To Davis said...

This is so exciting......another little great-nephew to use my imagination with.....I know Brody will be as wonderful of a big brother as your dad is to me. One child is wonderful, but more than one is Heaven. More hugs, more kisses, more "I love you"'s.......

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ryann--you are just the cutest pregnant person EVER! Looking forward to the big event--may God keep you and the baby safe through it all.

Teri said...

Sounds like a plan! Push em out shove em out...way out!

Kelly | Fabulous K said...

I am so excited for you all! YAY! :)

Amy said...

YAY! So exciting :) I bet you'll have a nice, quick delivery.