Thursday, February 28, 2008

Debbie

When we moved to Kansas almost 8 years ago, I had to pick a doctor to go to for my annual check up. The local medical center only had 1 woman...so that made my decision for me! Debbie is a CNM (certified nurse midwife), but in our local medical center she acts as another doctor. I'm able to go to here for everything from my annual check-ups, to when I have the flu, to when I need moles removed! When we got pregnant with Brody several people told us that we should go to the bigger city to doctor and deliver him. In our mind that wasn't an option. We wanted to deliver with Debbie! As the time approached for me to go into labor she gave Mike her home and cell phone numbers. We were to call if we had any questions. We were also supposed to call her whenever my water broke...no matter what time of day!

I called her house at 1:30 am on August 14, 2006. I could tell I had woken her out of a deep sleep...but when I told her my water broke she just started laughing! We'd been joking the week before about how all of her patients lately had been calling her in the middle of the night to tell her their water broke. She said it'd be nice if I could wait until waking hours to have my water break. No such luck!! After we laughed about the irony of the time, she gave me instructions about when to go to the hospital and told me that the nurses there would call her when I arrived.

A few hours later we were at the hospital and she was right there by our side. At 10:16 am she was the first person to get to hold our precious son, Brody. She has been Brody's doctor since the day he was born and I always enjoy our doctors visits. She doesn't just talk to us about medicine...she talks to us about life. She has a way of letting you know that she cares about you as a person, not just a patient. Every time that I've been pregnant she talks to me and Mike about how amazing God is. She said that it's hard to imagine how anyone could not believe in God when they see the intricate process of a baby developing in the womb. She said it's a miracle! We also found comfort in the fact that we knew she was praying for us from the moment I went into labor until Brody was in her arms.

I'm very sad that she won't be delivering our baby this time. I emailed RaeAnn today and told her that today was my last appointment with Debbie. When RaeAnn was pregnant with Cheyenne, I convinced her to go to Debbie rather than driving all the way to the big city to doctor. Today she emailed me back and said, "After having Debbie deliver one of my babies, I can't imagine having anyone else deliver the others!" There's just something special about her! Today as I left her office, we were both in tears. She cried as she hugged me and I told her I'm still holding out hope for going into labor in June when I come back up to help Mike move down to Texas. She said to just give her a call.

I hesitate to even post this picture...but since I forgot to take my camera with me to the appointment today...this is the only picture I have of the 2 of us. We've both seen better days! lol


Thank you, Debbie, for caring so much about our family. You will always come to mind when we think back on our time in Kansas. I pray that God will bring someone just as special into our lives to deliver our new little son.

8 comments:

Anna said...

Such an awesome post! Thanks for sharing this special relationship!

Jessica said...

Oh boy Staci... seems like every other post of yours is making me all teary and nose runny these days. :)

Ledbetter Fam said...

So sweet! I have loved hearing about how Debbie has taken care of you and your family. What a very special person she is!!!

JB

RaeAnn said...

Debbie is awesome! Thank you for convincing me to use her as my pregnancy doctor and my kids' doctor. That would be great if you happened to have the baby here, for you, her and us!

Unknown said...

The time has arrived almost and I am also getting emotional thinking about the changes you all are facing, especially Brody. God be with Mike, you, and Brody. You all have made such good friends in Kansas and I just know they will always be a part of your lives. We look forward to yall being closer but we also know those you are leaving behind will miss yall.

Debbie said...

Oh, Staci and Mike!! You are making me cry again! I have been blessed to be present at such an important time in your lives. I'm truly disappointed to not be there for your next baby's birth, but I know God will be with you and your next midwife. Since I'm next door to the Anderson's, I'm pretty sure I'll see you guys sometime!

Holli's Kansas Adventures said...

Just to let you know we are thinking of you and hope your travels to Texas were uneventful!

Sure do miss you lots already. I haven't been able to get to the gym since your 'last day'. I don't know how it is going to be yet. I am sure it will be tough. I hope this week slows down a little so I can go see.

Take care and we are thinking of you!
Hugs - Holli

Teri said...

She's been a blessing to us too! Nice post, you think of everything!