Monday, February 18, 2008

The Big Move

It has been brought to my attention that I have yet to post about the upcoming changes in our life.

If you haven't figured it out by now...we're moving back to Texas.

In January of 2005 I took over the books for the rec commission. I've really enjoyed doing them, so while I was pregnant with Brody (and the first few months after he was born) I took a few accounting classes at the local community college. The job that I'm currently in is wonderful...but it isn't a job that I can do from home, so Mike and I began brainstorming for ways that I could work from home. I was really enjoying the accounting and I decided that I should go back to school and get my masters so that I can sit for the CPA exam and become a CPA. The downfall was that I would have to drive over 1.5 hours to take classes! It didn't seem feasible to take night classes (getting home at 11 pm) and get up at 4 am to go to work at the rec commission! Mike asked if I'd like working for my mom (who's a CPA). Of course...but that'd mean moving to Texas. So the conversations began. Mom said that she'd love my help! By working for her I'd be able to start working in the accounting field immediately and slowly go back to school.

Mike and I put off making the decision about moving for a long time. We are comfortable where we live now. We love living in the country. We love that the school district here would never meet the standards of the ACLU (meaning teachers are very open about their faith). We love the church family here. Mike loves being able to step out the back door and target shoot...not to mention all the hunting. We both love the quiet pace of country life.

As most of you know, Brody comes to work with me at the rec commission. I knew that once we had more than one child I would not be able to take 2 kids to work with me and I really did not want to put our children in daycare. Working for Mom was beginning to look like the perfect solution. Not only would I be able to work from home (or from Dad & Mom's house)...but it would also give Mike an opportunity for career advancement. He is currently at the top of his field for our area...and he's still so young! We also liked the idea of living in the same area as our brothers and sisters...and my entire family! After having Brody, the pull to be near family was drastically increased.

So after much prayer...the decision was made. We'll sell our house (the one that we built on what used to be a field of wheat), leave our job, church, and community of almost 8 years...and move back to Texas.

This is my last week at work. I've worked here for 7.5 years and it's hard for me to believe that next Monday I won't be unlocking the doors to the fitness center to let eager exercisers in to the gym! I'll warn you in advance that this week of posting (and probably next week...or the next 2 weeks! lol) will probably be very emotional for me. It doesn't help that I'm pregnant! After this week of work, I'll have one week at home to pack up things that Brody and I need...then I'll be heading to Texas. Mike will stay here thru June (to finish his committment to the school), but I need to go help Mom thru tax season.

There are many days that we wonder if we're doing the right thing. Will we regret the decision we've made? Will we ever adjust to living in the city? I know that we will adjust...but it will take time....maybe even years. I also know how much Mike and I have both prayed about the move...and I am thankful for the peace that we feel about it.

There are three things that I'd ask you to be praying for on our behalf:
  • The next 3.5 months are going to be very hard for us. I know that many people live apart longer than that (ie. military families), however, 3.5 months is a long time for us! It's hard for us to be apart for a week! Basically pray that we'll make it thru this time of separation emotionally.
  • Within the next few months Mike will begin job searching in Texas. I know that he'll find a job easily, however, I'd love your prayers that he'll find a job that he loves.
  • We hope to have our house on the market by April. Pray that Mike will have the time/energy to finish the projects he wants to finish. Also pray that our home will sell quickly once it's put on the market.

Thank you for your prayers! I'll keep you posted on how God is answering them.

14 comments:

suzspeaks said...

I too was wondering when this post would happen!
I am happy for you guys and your future. I'll be praying for your family!

Jamie said...

What an exciting time for your family. You are on my prayer list.

Amy said...

I'll be praying too! That's a big decision to make, but it sounds as if you'd made a good one.

Ann Hastings said...

We have been and will continue to pray for y'all! We can also help spread the word about Mike moving down here and job searching with those we know... have him send us his resume!!!

Anonymous said...

It finally starts to seem real now that you have written about it. We'll definitely be praying for you.

Jo Faye and Ken - Happy Together! said...

I will be praying for y'all that God will bless you in this move and that Mike will find a job that he will love and that y'all can adjust quickly to the "city life." I can just imagine how hard it is to leave a place you built with your own hands and a place you love - your many friends and the quiet, peaceful life lived in the "country." God is going to be with you every step of the way and His hand will guide you. We love y'all.

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait!!!

RaeAnn said...

We will miss you in Kansas but know that this is a good move for your family. We will pray that it is a smooth transition for you all.

Rebecca said...

I know that there's not really any REAL country out here, but I hope you guys are able to find something comperable, and less citified...maybe in Kennedale or something. It's going to be great for you guys to be bakc near your family.

Cindi Koceich said...

I will definitely keep a list of your prayer requests in my prayer folder! I know this is a huge decision and I also know that God will bless your trust in Him through it all!!

Leave It To Davis said...

I know one thing.....Steve and Joan will be the happiest grandparents this side of the Mississippi!!!! I know it will be hard for Mike's parents to see you go, but knowing that you have family and friends to encourage you to come back to visit should help them know that you will visit as often as you can. Turn the page.....another chapter begins....

RyAnn said...

How exciting! I bet your parents are SO excited! I will be praying for you guys! we will have to get our boys together when you get settled. Brock knows Brody's name when he sees his picture since he likes to read blogs with me!

Shauna said...

You guys are definitely in my prayers! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I had to ask Amy what was going on with you! I'll be praying for you Staci, God will help you through it. I couldn't imagine not seeing my hubby over a couple days!!! But being with your family will help : )