Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Joyful Sorrow

Today is a day that brings mixed emotions. Whether or not our baby would've been born today...December 19th is the day that Baby K was due. This would've been a day of joy. Family would be surrounding us as we looked upon tiny fingers and toes. Instead, it's just another day at work. A day filled with book work, aerobics, cleaning house, and making dinner.

After we lost Baby K, many people showered their love on us. I know from past experience that sometimes it's very hard to know what to say to someone who is grieving. One thing that I heard many times (and something that I would never suggest saying to someone who just lost a baby) is, "It's ok. You'll have other kids." Every time someone said this to me I would cringe. I would think, "Yes, God may bless us with more children...but you can't REPLACE one child by having another!"

However, that is what makes today bitter sweet. Mike and I both still grieve the loss of Baby K, yet in a way we can rejoice. We KNOW that we will be spending eternity in Heaven with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ...and we also know that Baby K will be waiting there for us! What makes today sweet is the word sacrifice. If we had not lost Baby K, the baby that's in my belly now would never have existed. In a way, we are the blessed ones. We may have lost time on this earth with Baby K...but our time here is so short. In view of eternity...our life on earth is just the table of contents! We are blessed with the joy of spending time with Brody and the baby that's now growing inside of me while we're here on earth...and we pray that we'll get to spend eternity with all three of our children!

Today may still be difficult, but I can't imagine two people more blessed!

10 comments:

Amy said...

Amen! You both are in my prayers today.

Laura said...

You are both in my prayers!

Steve and Joan said...

And what a blessing little Brody is! He is such a good boy! We are really enjoying this week with him.

Brody is running around in his pajamas turning on and off the Christmas tree and laughing.

Anonymous said...

We will get to see Baby K before you do. What a joy that will be! I am sure Grandpa is already enjoying him.

Anonymous said...

Baby K. will always have a special place in my heart! I have no idea what he or she looks like, but I know I will recognize them immediately when the Lord takes me home. I'm excited for that day just as much as I'm excited about seeing Brody every morning or the new baby we're expecting in July. Our family has truly been blessed beyond measure.

Shauna said...

You guys all have me in tears today! You really are blessed and such an inspiration to others. We experience some huge struggles and things that we dont understand but, oh, how God can make it beautiful. Love you!

Anonymous said...

You always have a way of seeing things in a different light. You are an inspiration to me! May God be with you today and always and may your reunion in heaven be joyous!

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of you so much yesterday and today. I love you so much, and I look forward to meeting Baby K someday, too. You are such an example to me! Love you!

Ledbetter Fam said...

I love you Staci!!!

JB

Cindi Koceich said...

You have an awesome perspective and it's so true! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for allowing God's light to shine through you!!