Monday, December 03, 2007

Buck Shot

**WARNING...SOME PICTURES ARE GRAPHIC**

Last night Mike got TWO deer! He got a buck and a doe! He and Chris took the two Mike got and the one that Chris got back to Chris & Teri's house to skin and hang. Tuesday night they're going to process all the deer...and stock our freezers with meat!!! Yay! Brody and I just had to go over and see Daddy's deer. I was a little surprised to see a gash across Mike's head! Chris tried to tell me that Mike was in hand to hoof combat with the deer...but I knew better. I guess Mike was in an awkward position when he shot and when the gun kicked the sight of the gun slammed into his face! Ouch!


Here's a picture of the buck. Mike shot him from 65-70 yards away.

On the left is Mike's doe (he shot this doe from 235 yards!!!), then Chris's antlerless buck (which they thought was a doe when shooting at it), and then Mike's buck.
Here's Mike and Chris trying to hoist Mike's doe so that they could skin and quarter it. Apparently it was REALLY heavy! They ended up having to use a come along to hoist it and tie it off.
The kids were very interested in what their daddies were doing. Hans, Alan, Brody, Collin, and Erin look on as the doe is skinned.
Brody didn't watch for too long. Instead he found a "mower" outside to play on. Did I mention the temps were in the 20's? It was "brrrr" (as Brody would say)! I let him play for a little while and then we headed home to get ready for bed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice deer Mike! I got a black eye from a scope once too. Although, I would stick with the story about hand to hand combat. I've heard that deer fight like Muhammad Ali. Found this video on "you tube" thought you might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtlHTAhUdY

Shauna said...

That reminds me of my childhood! My dad and grandpa had a similar set up every year around this time of the year. Congrats Mike.

Steve and Joan said...

What a hunter! Good job, Mike!

Brody is going to enjoy that meat. Much better than a McDonalds Happy Meal!!!

Steve

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ with Steve on the idea that deer tastes better than McDonalds! The pictures remind me of a time I was walking home from elementary school and came upon a dead dear in an open truck like that. I just stood there and cried. I don't think I would make a very good hunter!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a lot of work. I see why it is a "guy thing".

Ledbetter Fam said...

Oh, Joan. Have you talked to my mom lately? Not so sure it's only a guy thing. Hee Hee!!! That all brings back fun memories for me too.

JB

Unknown said...

I am not much of a hunter, so I definitely scrolled quickly past the dead deer shots. Boone's family are big hunters. I always tell Boone I should go to the blind with them, but my job would be to yell "Run for your life!" just as they were about to shoot. Not sure why he hasn't taken me.

Teri said...

Too bad they hung those awesome deer in such a messy garage!!! I'm glad they "got 'er done!"

Shauna said...

Sorry - this is completely irrelevent - but it is the easiest way to reach you. Lifetime Fitness has tons of different birthday parties - swimming, rock climbing, and so on - check out their website: www.lifetimefitness.com

Amy said...

Good job boys!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATONS on your successful hunt (Mike, the grin on your face says it all!!!)and the great provision of meat in the freezer -
your family will enjoy that!

P.S. Thanks too for a few less
critters to worry about on the
roads