Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Close Call

I hit snooze a few too many times and didn't get to the gym until 4:55 am. When I got here Alan, one of our part-time employees, was working out. He's usually gone by 5 am so he can head to work. I like it when he's here working out when I get to work because that means there are already lights on in the building! We're located in an old Catholic church building and it's easy to let your imagination run wild with the creaking of the building or water dripping in the sink. I think my heart rate always increases a little until I get the lights, radio, and TV turned on. Only RaeAnn, who closes at night in the dark, understands the adrenaline rush you get as you hurry thru a pitch black gymnasium to turn on the lights!

Back to this morning....Alan was finishing up his weight workout as I headed to the cardio room at 5 am. I did a 20 minute cardio workout and then went about my usual routine of unlocking different rooms in the building. The last room I unlocked was the tanning room. For some reason, whenever I unlock this room I open the door all the way so that people know it's not in use. This morning as I swung the door open I heard a male voice say, "Hello?!?" I quickly closed my eyes as I panicked thinking, "Who's in there that's about to get me?" (You know boogy men hide in tanning beds don't you?) As I'm sure you've already guessed...it wasn't a boogy man...it was Alan! Praise the Lord he'd already put his clothes back on and was just cleaning the tanning bed!!! That was a close call!

5 comments:

Amy said...

So glad it wasn't the boogy man! I know the feeling of hurrying to get lights turned on.

Laura said...

I am still scared of the boogy man too! Glad he wasn't at the gym this morning!

RaeAnn said...

That would have scared me! I'm sure Allan got a kick out of that!

Shauna said...

That was a close call!!! Very funny!

Anonymous said...

I sure am glad it was someone you knew and felt comfortable to be around. That was scary!!! Reminded me of the last few years I worked. I went to work at 7 a.m. and I always got there at least 5 minutes early and was ALWAYS the first one to the office. I had to unlock the front and back doors and turn on all the lights. It was the spookiest when the hall lights were not on when I got off the elevator and I would have to feel for the light switch. I got spooked a few times!!