Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Close Call

I've lived in Tornado Alley my entire live, however, I've never seen a funnel cloud or tornado! Tonight there were tornado and thunderstorm warnings flashing across the TV from 5:00 pm on. Before long there was a major storm directly over us! Mike went outside to look at the sky because the weather man had not interrupted programming yet. The rain was coming down hard and before long there was small hail along with rain. Mike came inside, grabbed the camera, and told me "This is awesome!" I followed him outside in time to see the funnel cloud below dropping out of the sky! I hurried back inside to get Brody's stuff together in case we needed to head to the basement. Mike stayed outside to keep an eye on the sky and saw numerous funnel clouds. Some of them may have been all the way to the ground, but it was hard to tell because of the torrential rain!
As the storm was passing to our east, a beautiful double rainbow appeared in the sky!
Here's a video Mike put together of some of our storm footage.



12 comments:

Amy said...

Wowee! I wonder if we'll see any of those tonight here in KC!!??

Steve and Joan said...

That is both scary and awe inspiring at the same time! After they go back up in the cloud and the rainbow come out, it is neat that you saw it. But... I bet it was really a nervous hour while you were watching them develop! I'm glad you have the basement!

Good job, Mike!

Stay safe! Love, Dad

suzspeaks said...

What a pretty rainbow!!! Reminds me of the song "God put a rainbow in the sky"!!

Teri said...

That is amazing. We spent a nervous 15 minutes praying this storm past the Zimmermans (at gymnastics) and then my brother's house. If it's OK can I put the url on my blog of course giving you credit?

Ledbetter Fam said...

That was a cool video and GREAT pics. David said that when he visited Lyons KS one time he was told that the reason people began settling there was because they had noticed that several times when there had been storms, the storms would split and go around that area. Therefore, people began establishing themselves there. That's a pretty neat story. Don't know if it's true, but cool.

JB

Anonymous said...

I can't help but sing "Wide Open Spaces" when I see pictures of your property in Kansas! That is really cool...only because they weren't too close!

RaeAnn said...

I have been worried about you as I was watching the weather. Glad you are safe. You got some great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Especially liked the rainbow. We are so thankful that you have the storm cellar and thankful that you did not have to use it last night. We had not been watching the weather and did not know about the tornado activity.

We love y'all

Shauna said...

Wow - that is scary but really really cool! I will blog about our tornado experience later!

Anonymous said...

I worried about your family when I saw Merrill Teller say the rotation was forming near "the big bend" in the highway. I knew you were right there! Wow! Great job photographing them. We were lucky the storm wasn't able to oranize anything more than the little funnels that didn't come fully to the ground. I fell better now that I know you have a basement. That is a priority around these parts isn't it?

Terah said...

How fun to happen across your blog! I have law school finals next week, so of course I'm wasting time...that's the way it works with me! I'm glad you guys are safe after the tornado. Nate and I are in Arizona now (This is Terah Ott(used to be Sheets) by the way). Well, I just wanted to say hi. Congrats on the cute little one! I have a blog that I don't update much...but here it is: ottonline@blogspot.com

Jessica said...

great footage you guys got, but also very scary. As someone whose lived thru a tornado...just seeing that scares me! Glad you guys were okay and the rainbow was goregous!