Monday, February 19, 2007

In the Dark

I meant to blog about this on Friday but I just never got around to it.

I stopped by the grocery store on the way home from work on Friday. As I was walking into the store I almost ran into the old man walking in front of me. He was walking really slow and PUSHING the door open!? I thought, "That's strange. Why's (**is this a TX word? spell check doesn't like "Why's" as in Why is?**) he PUSHING an automatic door?" As I followed him inside I realized that he was pushing the door because the electricity was out, therefore, the door wasn't opening automatically. As soon as we entered the electricity came back on. I didn't think anything of it (our town tends to have frequent outages). Before I could even get to the first aisle, the electricity went out again. This time it stayed out! It made for a very fun experience! Usually when you're in the grocery store it is BRIGHTLY lit! Have you ever been in there in total darkness? Since it's a small town grocery store...there are only FIVE aisles and I know them like the back of my hand. I didn't have any trouble finding things in the dark. A few of the workers were walking around with flashlights offering to help people shop by holding a flashlight for them. Luckily they have a 30 minute battery backup on their registers...so they were still able to check people out. Maddie (the lady that sacked my groceries) said that if the power is out for longer than 30 minutes they have to close their doors. By the time I got home, the power was back on...so I'm sure they didn't have to close the doors.

I was kinda sad that it was all elderly people in the store...no kids. I think that kids would think it was so fun to get to walk thru the grocery store in total darkness! Maybe it'll happen to me again someday.....

4 comments:

Steve and Joan said...

Next time you go to the grocery store you should memorize where the glow sticks are located. Then when the lights go out, you can head for the glow sticks first! That would make your shopping even more fun!!!

Dad

Staci said...

I don't think our grocery store has glow sticks!

I didn't get anything unexpected. There was enough daylight to tell the difference b/w the cans of corn and the cans of lima beans ;)

Shauna said...

Yeah, I cant imagine that happening in a huge Kroger or something! Ahh - scary! :)

Ledbetter Fam said...

That's exciting! I think if the electricity went out in our grocery store, I would be lost for hours. No way would I be able to keep shopping!

JB