Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I Did It!

For the past few weeks I've been going on daily walks with Brody. I push him 1.5 miles in the jogging stroller down our dirt road and back to our house. Last week I tried jogging the last 1/4 mile back to our house. I could tell I wasn't ready to jog yet. Yesterday I felt great as we were leaving the driveway...so I decided to start out jogging. It felt great! I thought jogging with a stoller would be easier because you'd have something to hold on to, but it turns out it's a little harder because you're not able to swing your arms.

Not only did it feel good to jog...the weather was beautiful! It was so cool outside that I wore a sweatshirt for the first 3/4 mile and had to wear my Earz for the entire run (sorry Megan...that probably makes you a little jealous ;) I had Brody dressed in a sleeper and stocking cap and then wrapped a blanket around him. He was plenty warm and fell asleep as soon as I started down the road.

When I was almost home again the sun peaked out from behind the clouds and something caught my eye. I looked to the left and saw my shadow jogging along beside me and was taken back in time.....*insert dream music*

The year was 1998 and I was running in the Dallas White Rock Marathon. It was a beautiful day, but it was a bad running day for me. Around mile 14 I got heel bruises in both feet and for the rest of the race felt excruciating pain with every step (word for the wise: don't wear the same running shoes throughout your entire training and race!) As I rounded the corner and could see the finish line I could feel the adrenaline pumping through my body. I began to sprint and run faster than ever (or so I thought). I made it to the finish line and into the embrace of my Dad who had finished the race ahead of me.

A few days later I saw pictures of my "sprint" towards the finish line. It made me laugh! I was hardly moving! I probably could've walked faster than I was "sprinting"!

When I saw my shadow jogging yesterday I could tell that I was going about as fast I was going when I was at the end of my 26.22 mile marathon! But it didn't really matter to me. I did it. I jogged again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely jealous of your cool weather run! Only like 2 more months before it will be cooler here. :)

I am giggling at your marathon finish story...I am sure I am going to feel the same way! I am singing the "Chariots of Fire" song in my head as I picture you sprinting to the finish!

Way to go on the running!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!

RaeAnn said...

Wow! I tried jogging the other day and didn't go too far! I think I jogged about 5 minutes. I wasn't much of a runner before though. I better get my rear end in shape though because the alumni basketball game is coming up in November.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! The weather has been perfect for a jog. way to go!
Teri