Saturday, June 17, 2006

Happy Anniversary!

So I had my dates wrong. For some reason I thought my parents' anniversary was the 17th...but it was yesterday the 16th! Oh well :)

Yesterday was my parents' 33rd wedding anniversary. I have been very blessed to have such good examples of a godly marriage. They are more in love today than the day they married and it's very obvious. When I was a kid I'd get embarassed when I'd walk into the kitchen to find Dad hugging Mom and kissing on her. They were never afraid to show their love for one another in front of us...and I am so grateful for that!

I'll never forget a conversation that I had with mom when I was a kid. I thought I had a question that would really "get her". I asked her, "Who do you love more? Me or Dad?" I was surprised with her answer. She said, "I love you VERY much...but I do love your dad more." At first that kinda hurt my feelings. But...the more I thought about it...I really liked her answer. I learned a very powerful lesson from her that day. The relationship with your spouse is so important and it should come first! You need that solid foundation to have a strong family!

Dad is always doing sweet, romantic things for Mom. I'll never forget the time I got home to find Caleb & Tyler lighting candles in Dad & Mom's bedroom. They had been helping Dad set up a massage table in his bedroom (complete with Enya and candles) and Dad was running a warm bath. He told me Mom would be getting home shortly and I should take Caleb & Tyler out to eat. I was in HS and understood. I was outta there faster than you can say go! Of course I was embarassed (and thought it was so funny that Caleb & Tyler were helping Dad get all this set up)...but I also felt such security knowing how much Dad loved Mom! I liked knowing that he was doing something so special for her!

Because they have such a strong faith in Christ and strong love for one another...their godly marriage has influenced many others. Caleb, Tyler, and I have been so blessed to have such wonderful parents and role models. Thank you for always showing your love for us...but more importantly...thank you for loving each other!

{I would upload one of their wedding pictures...but I'm at home and for some reason my internet at home won't let me upload pics to blogger. I'll try to add one later.}

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Staci, that was a great tribute to your parents. I am so thankful that all of my grandchildren have been reared by loving parents. I am sure Joan learned the answer she gave you from your grandpa--he always said a wife or husband should be first before the children, because you only have the children at home for 18 years, and then there may be many remaining years where there will only be husband and wife. Children are loved in a different way. He tried to teach this principal to his employees through the years when he had an opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Staci, that was a great tribute to your parents. I am so thankful that all of my grandchildren have been reared by loving parents. I am sure Joan learned the answer she gave you from your grandpa--he always said a wife or husband should be first before the children, because you only have the children at home for 18 years, and then there may be many remaining years where there will only be husband and wife. Children are loved in a different way. He tried to teach this principal to his employees through the years when he had an opportunity.

suzspeaks said...

Happy anniversary Steve & Joan!!!