Thursday, September 30, 2010

Twin Lakes

Friday, September 17, 2010

After the kids woke up from their naps, we decided to venture into the metropolis of Twin Lakes.  I think Julie said the population of year-round residents is 25.  It's a very small town!  While we were getting ready to go, Brody took on the task of holding Sylvia.  He really loves babies, so it wasn't a job...it was a joy for him!  (Not that you'd know that from the picture below.  He wouldn't give me a real smile...and Sylvia looks a little confused as to why I'm letting Brody be responsible for her!)
We stopped at a little store in Twin Lakes that sells all local art (jewelry, art, etc).  I bought a necklace and a magnet and we found out about a little trail just on the edge of town that leads to the lakes.  I'm glad we found out about the trail because after a short hike through wild grass the path opened up to a secluded part of the lake.  We didn't see anyone else while we were out there!  The sun was getting close to setting and the lakes and surrounding mountains were breathtaking!  (Are you tired of me saying everything is gorgeous?  Well...you still have 2 more days to read about...so just soak in the beauty...and let me know if you think of more adjectives I can use to describe God's creation!)
Brody and Malachi asked to wear their swimsuits to the lake.  We thought they might get their feet wet, but we were shocked when they submerged themselves in the freezing water!  Malachi was the first one to take off and run into the lake.  Izzy was right at his side!
Before long they were all splashing around in the water.
 
Except for Barrett!  He had no intentions of getting out of the backpack! 
Mikayla was loving splashing her feet in the water, however, when she fell forward and landed on her hands and knees she wasn't quite as excited!  She ran crying into Julie's arms and then almost immediately went back to the water.  (In fact, she was the one we had the hardest time convincing to leave the lake!)
It was a little muddy around the lake.  Brody was running so fast that he kicked up mud onto his own back!
We could tell that the lake is low right now.  Much of the area where we were sitting is probably under water during the peak of the snowmelt.
 
Not long before we were ready to leave, Barrett finally decided to get out of the backpack.  He and Mikayla threw rocks into the lake together.
A picture of the all the kids (minus Sylvia who was sitting in her infant carrier).  I know they all have their backs to me, so you probably think it's really their stunt doubles in this pictures...but you'll just have to trust me that it's really Mikayla, Barrett, Brody, & Malachi.
Buddies - Malachi & Brody
If I lived in the Twin Lakes area, I would definitely do a photo shoot with my kids by this log cabin.  I used my favorite picture as a teaser.  Here's Brody, Julie, Mikayla, and Malachi hiking back towards the minivan (Barrett was on my back and I was carrying Sylvia in the infant carrier.)
 
When we got back from Twin Lakes, we let the kids play in the hot tub while we made a gourmet dinner of hot dogs, green beans, and fruit.  Mike and Ben arrived at Hind's Feet just in time to give the kids a goodnight kiss.
Today might have been a long, taxing day for me and Julie, but it was also so much fun.  We had a lot of time to talk (between questions like "where are my shoes" and "can I have something to eat") and even some uninterrupted time to talk while the kids napped or played outside.  I'm looking forward to another day tomorrow in beautiful Colorado!

2 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

So cute that Brody loves babies! What a beatuiful place- looks like another great day!

Steve and Joan said...

You have a great eye for a beautiful photograph!