Wednesday, September 29, 2010

St. Elmo

Thursday, September 16, 2010

After we bounced our way down Mt. Antero Trail (there was only 1 time when I felt like we were about to roll the Jeep...but Mike backed up quick enough to keep the tires on the ground), we drove to an old mining town called St. Elmo.  (Side note:  This morning we told the boys that we were going to St. Elmo after we packed up camp and Barrett insisted on keeping part of his Daddy Bar (breakfast bar) to "show Elmo".  As much as I tried to explain that the red, furry Sesame Street Elmo wouldn't be there...I'm not sure he understood.)

Mike and I first visited St. Elmo and the surrounding mines back in 2005 with Ben & Julie (before we had any kids, therefore, before we had a blog...so I can't link to those pictures.  Sorry!)  It's still just as beautiful! (I guess a ghost town doesn't change much in 5 years. lol)
The boys were excited to feed the chipmunks.
This helped Barrett forget about seeing Elmo.
These chipmunks are used to being hand fed.  They'll crawl all over you try try to get a seed (not sure what the seeds were that we paid $0.50 for at the General Store).  The one below crawled down Mike's arm and started eating out of the food baggie!
 
 
As we left St. Elmo, we had to stop for another potty break (yes, one of our boys wanted to dig another hole!), but then we were on our way to BV!!!!!  (Buena Vista, CO...home of some of our best friends in the world, Ben & Julie!!!)

2 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

Oh, my goodness, that would be worth traveling 1,000 miles for....to feed a chipmunk out of your hand!!! I never saw such a thing!!! That is absolutely amazing....thanks so much for sharing these pictures! ( my word verification is gingr....lol)

Ann Hastings said...

How cute, glad y'all were able to go back to St Elmo... I think it's halarious that Barrett wanted to see Elmo- I would have too if I was him :)