Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pyramid Peak

Friday, September 17, 2010

Mike and Ben summitted Pyramid Peak today.  CFI's (Colorado Fourteeners Initiative) website says the following about Pyramid:
Pyramid is one of the most challenging and dangerous Fourteeners. Make sure you have knowledge and experience before climbing this peak.

Wikipedia says:
The standard climbing routes on Pyramid Peak are the northeast and northwest ridges (the latter is also known as the "Keyhole Route"). These routes involve difficult route finding (very difficult, in the case of the northwest ridge), high exposure, and a great deal of loose rock. Hence they are two of the most difficult and dangerous of all of the standard routes on the Colorado fourteeners.

The guys summitted Pyramid a little after noon.  They called us when they got a cell signal on their descent.  Mike told me that some of the trail would've really freaked me out.  I don't know, something about walking along a narrow rock ledge with a several thousand foot drop really does send my heart racing! 

Ben took pictures, but I haven't gotten them off Mike's laptop.  I'll add them to this post later.  I should probably warn the grandmas not to look at the pictures.  The fear factor is intense!  Just remember...they made it home alive and well...and now Mike's summitted 24 fourteeners!!!  (I'm still stuck at 20 :(  Next trip I WILL summit a mountain!)

2 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

WOW- glad they enjoy doing that! It's not really my thing :) I am sure my heart would be racing along with yours!

Steve and Joan said...

Maybe you should include your 13ers also in the count.