Friday, April 17, 2009

Nap Overlap

Almost two weeks ago (yes...I'm just now getting around to posting this...it's been sitting here as a draft since that Monday!) I watched Jayden while Angela had her monthly meeting at work. On her way to her meeting she went with me and the boys to pick up our car from the shop. On my way back home, both the babies fell asleep in the car (even though Brody and I tried REALLY hard to keep them awake!) Thankfully they both continued their naps once we got home. It was a little difficult when they both woke up at the same time and were HUNGRY! Brody was eager to help so I set him on the couch with the boppy and Jayden in his lap with a bottle. The plan was to let him feed Jayden while I sat beside him nursing Barrett. Well...Jayden didn't like a kid giving him a bottle! Even though Brody was doing a great job...he wouldn't take it unless I was giving it to him. I tried laying Jayden on the ground and giving him to bottle, but I don't think he has a bottle often enough to know how to hold it by himself yet...so that didn't work. I ended up just letting Barrett fuss until Jayden finished eating and then I fed Barrett. Whew! Made it thru that.

Ok. I've just gotten really off track as to what this post was to be about! Lemme get back on...

Angela called and said that her meeting was going to run long (into the afternoon). Nap time was quickly approaching. Angela had told me that Jayden had really been fighting afternoon naps lately (this week we learned it's because he was getting a tooth!), so I was leery as to how nap time would go. I put Jayden on a pallet in the laundry room (yes, seems strange...but it's the only room that I could put him in where he and Barrett wouldn't wake each other up if either of them cried!) I closed the door (yes, he was crying) and went to put my boys to bed. By the time I got Barrett and Brody in bed...all was silent from the laundry room!

Silence!

There was silence in the house!

Nap overlap is AMAZING! (Now it's awesome on any day...but today was especially awesome because I had ALL THREE kids sleeping at once!)

Nap overlap is the first time in my day (after the kids wake up) that I can really hear myself think. On one hand that's wonderful! On the other hand...when you haven't heard yourself think all day...do you know how many thoughts can run thru your head during a nap overlap! It's almost dizzying! You're rushing around trying to get everything done that you can't accomplish while the kids are awake. On days that I'm working, as soon as the kids are down I run back to the office and work as fast as I can. On days that I'm not working it's a little more complex. I'll have a list of things to do: laundry, vacuum, clean shower, dust, sweep, mop, clean bathroom, work on books for the LRC, work on our books, get a drink of water, sit down for a minute, work on my blog book, post to my blog, check my email, check my messageboard, check my blog reader......

Now realistically, I can't get all this done in one nap overlap. Sometimes I spend too much time trying to decide what to accomplish, then starting a task only to decide something else should take precedence! Today I'm off work and Brody went with Daddy Steve to see GG (so it's really only Barrett down for a nap right now). I should be cleaning house or packing (since we're moving next week!!)...but instead I'm blogging! To make the situation even funnier...I hear Barrett waking up over the monitor! I guess I can check "post to my blog" off that long list! lol

6 comments:

megan said...

Oh, nap overlap...how I have missed you. I've had exactly 2 nap overlaps since Camryn was born because Logan never really naps anymore. But I loved the nap overlap with Logan and Connor! It's the best!

Good job getting all 3 to sleep at the same time! That is awesome! And good luck with the packing/moving. I can't wait to see your new house!

Amy said...

busy mommy!!

Mom said...

I guess people create words for things when they write about them. When I had young children, we didn't every say "nap overlap". We didn't even talk about it. You would have totally forgotten about it by the time you talked to one of your friends.

GG said...

Glad I had the pleasure of Brody's visit today instead of his taking a nap. He attracted a lot of attention in our dining room. He is so much fun to visit with and so smart. I was wishing for Collin. They are so cute together.

Chris said...

We have nap overlap at our house most every sunday and i think the kids enjoy it as much as we do. Teri and I lay down and take a nap and they watch TV and play vidio games until we get up and make them quit. The longer the nap the better for both of us!

Leave It To Davis said...

Wow.........you have a lot to do. You need a vacation. Just reading this made me tired!