Thursday, March 05, 2009

Oranges

Last night I was peeling an orange. I rolled it around on the counter before I started peeling it. Why? Because Daddy Ken taught me that if you roll the orange around, applying pressure as you roll it, it loosens the orange from the skin (is that what you call the outside of an orange?) Then you can easily peel the orange. Daddy Ken liked to show off and peel the orange keeping the skin all in one piece. Every time I peel an orange I think of Daddy Ken. I can see his hands rolling the orange...and then the big grin on his face as he shows off the one piece of orange peel (that still looks like there's an orange inside). Today is Daddy Ken's birthday...and the first one that I haven't been able to call and wish him a happy birthday. I still miss him so much! I'm glad that I'm reminded about him every day because of the little things that he taught me.

4 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

Happy Birthday Daddy Ken- we can still remember him on this day, even if we can't call him to say it to him.
I am glad you cherish that memory and think of him everytime you peel an oraange, it's little things you remember that keep him memory with us!

Tyler Hastings said...

I also think of Daddy Ken every time I peel an orange. I think of him and try to always get the peel off in one piece.

Steve and Joan said...

It's a very special day - Daddy Ken Day. It's so hard to believe that he is not still at home trimming the trees, finding good deals, and showing his love to his family. I miss him very much!

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Do you mean one long continuous piece that is a half inch wide rolled back up? or something else? Need a picture.