Thursday, October 25, 2007

"Me Me"

It may seem abnormal...but when I was pregnant with Brody, I wasn't worried about the labor and delivery. I wasn't worried about changing diapers, getting spit up on, or sleepless nights. Instead...I was worried about breastfeeding! I was sooo nervous that I wouldn't be able to do it "right" and that I wouldn't make it more than a few weeks. I'd heard so many horror stories from friends about how painful it can be and I was prepared for the worst.

To my surprise. Nursing came very naturally to me. Brody was a very efficient nurser (always finished his "meal" in 10-15 minutes max) and I enjoyed the bonding time with my little boy.

When Brody turned a year old I began a very gradual weaning process. He's been pretty easy to wean...it's me who's had the trouble! Since I've done it so gradual, I haven't had physical pain...but it's hard emotionally!

This morning was the hardest. I got Brody out of bed this morning and his first words (like any other morning) were, "Me me?" (This is what he calls nursing). My response was, "Oatmeal?" and then I took him into the office and started feeding him a breakfast of oatmeal, raisins, and cheerios. He didn't ask for "me me" again after that. I don't know why it makes me so sad. Shouldn't I be feeling a sense of freedom? Instead I feel like crying. Maybe because it's just one more reminder that my little boy is growing up.

6 comments:

RaeAnn said...

It is sad to quit nursing. You know they are growing up and they don't need you like they did several months ago. When they were little you were pretty much the only one who could feed them. Now, they feed themselves. :( Hang in there. Glad you had a great nursing experience!

Amy said...

Brody's growing up so fast!!!

suzspeaks said...

It is sad. I remember crying because I wanted to still nurse him. We had to stop after 4 months becuase of some issues, so I totally felt cheated! Hang in there....it is nice when they become a little more self-sufficient!

Anonymous said...

I remember those same feelings at every new mile marker. It is just part of wonderful motherhood. I am glad you have those feelings.

Steve and Joan said...

What a very special way to nurture a little one. I would always ask Joan - "What is it like to know that you are giving all the nurishment to our little baby that they need?" I see it as one of the wonders of life that God planned for a reason... centered around love.

Ledbetter Fam said...

Oh, you are soooooo normal!!! I still cry sometimes when I think about weaning. I LOVED breastfeeding!

JB