Friday, October 26, 2007

Favorite Toy

Brody's current obsession is screwdrivers. Remember how he spent over an hour playing with a screwdriver and 2 screws with Namaw? Now imagine a set of 10 screwdrivers sitting on Junior's desk...just begging for Brody to play with them! Junior has given one to him numerous times...until Tina (a friend, gym member, doctor's wife, and Board member) gave us a lecture about how bad Brody could hurt himself if he fell on a screwdriver. From that point on Junior didn't allow Brody to play with his screwdrivers...which made work just a little more stressful! If Brody even caught a glimpse of a screwdriver...all I'd hear for the next hour was "da dar?!" (I know you'd never guess that means screwdriver...but that's what he calls them.)


Monday before last I was at Wal-Mart and found a toy tool set for $4.88. I took the screwdriver out of the package and put the other tools up for a Christmas present. I gave him the screwdriver at work the next day and he LOVED it! He also discovered very quickly that the bit comes out of the end of the screwdriver (so that you can change from flat head to phillips). He also figured out how to get the bit back into the screwdriver! This was a game that lasted a looooong time!
I was so happy to finally have a screwdriver that was safe for him to play with (mainly so I'd stop getting lectures from people!) Tuesday afternoon I took the screwdriver home from work so that Brody could play with it at home too. After I put Brody to bed on Tuesday night I started looking for the screwdriver to put in my bag for work the next day. All I could find was the bit and the toy screw that went along with it. Where was the base? Mike and I tore the house apart looking for this $1 toy! We NEVER found it!

This week Mike caught Brody putting one of his toys in our kitchen trash (we've taught him to throw away trash & his dirty diapers...but not toys)! So...Mike and I both think that Brody probably threw away the screwdriver base! Arg! Oh well. He LOVED having his very own screwdriver...even if it was just for one day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Collin and Brody will be great friends! Collin LOVES screwdrivers as well. He can open the door to the garage now, so I am forever taking tools away from him. And just within the last 2 weeks or so, Collin has thrown away all kinds of strange things - and that's just what I have recovered. Who knows what invaluable things I have unknowingly taken to the curb lately!

Anna said...

Funny! Holden threw away my cell phone...and many toys...luckily thats all in the office trash which is perforated metal so you can see it who knows whats gone in the kitchen trash! All part of the learning process I guess!

Steve and Joan said...

Ask Daddy Ken or Grandmommy about the time I threw my toys away.

Daddy Steve

Steve and Joan said...

Hey, I just had a security word on your blog that actually sounded pretty neat when I pronounced it. It was Eutelbarv. Try it. It sounds pretty cool. This might be a way to come up with a name for a new baby in the family. Just look at the security word on the day a new grandkid is born and there it is!!! Eutelbarv... now we just need a middle name! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I saw a couple of play hammers at garage sales yesterday but no screw drivers. I didn't buy the hammers. I didn't really want Brody hitting on everything.

Maybe Mike could make a wooden handle that would fit the bit. Of course, that might not be very good use of his time since the plastic ones are so cheap!

Amy said...

too bad it may have gone in the trash :(