Monday, July 24, 2006

In all things....

I was reading a post the other day on Patrick's blog in which he reminded us that we can praise God in everything. His example was that instead of complaining about the temperatures being over 100 degrees outside that we can give up our concerns about being sweatless and praise God for a beautiful day. It was a good reminder that rather than complain we can always search to find something in a trial to praise God about.

Last night was one of the worst nights of sleep I've ever had. I'm in the process of fighting off a cold (stuffiness and sore throat) and found myself waking up coughing and with a very dry throat. The coughing would bring on more Braxton Hicks contractions and then every time I turned over I felt the pressure of the baby on my already squished bladder. On top of that I began hearing a rustling in the trash can by my bed. Come to find out it was a grasshopper trying to get out of the trash can...but it took me quite a while to figure that out and of course it kept me awake thinking that it was gonna jump out of there and attack me (I'm not alone in that fear...see Megan's blog on lizards.)

I finally remembered that I had a choice. I could lay in bed and complain to myself that I couldn't sleep...continually watching the minutes tick by on the clock OR I could choose to praise God. So I spent much of my night in prayer (of course some of that prayer was me pleading with God not to let the BH contractions become real ones...and to keep the baby inside me until AFTER the wedding!). I have a choice this morning too. I can choose to complain all day about my lack of sleep....or I can choose to praise God for the life growing inside me (one of the causes of my sleepless night). I can praise God that I have a wonderful husband and family and a great job.

I can also praise God that I have a comfortable couch and pillow that will be calling my name as soon as I walk in the door after work :)

6 comments:

Shauna said...

I love you Staci - keep hanging in there! The sleepless nights will be a lot easier to tolerate when you are holding your baby boy through most of them! :)

Noël V. said...

Staci I'm so glad that I found your blog! The comments that you have left on mine have been so sweet and I always wondered if you had one too.
I liked your post today a lot. It was really encouraging because I've been trying to do all that I can to praise God in spite of difficult seasons of life and it's neat to know that I have a sister in christ who is trying to live by choosing to honor Him through your countenance and choice to praise Him. Thank you so much for the reminder :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't sleep good last night either. I finally told God that it was up to him how long I was awake. I did my usual when I can't sleep - pray. I got a lot of praying done last night. I guess God thought I needed it or maybe he knew that you needed my prayers too.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

for the baby ignorant.... what are BH contractions? I didn't think you had contractions until labor!

Hope you get more comfortable!!!!

suzspeaks said...

Staci - you're in my prayers. Thank you for always being you - uplifting.

I love you!

Hang in there...

RyAnn said...

Hang in there. You are almost finished. It will all be worth it!