Friday, February 04, 2011

Fun in the Texas SNOW!

FINALLY...we have a FUN form of winter precipitation in Texas!!!  It's been icy all week (and still is under the snow), so we were super excited to wake up to white powder this morning!  There's 3 or so inches of snow sitting on top of the 1-2 inches of ice.  It looks gorgeous outside!  It's warmer today that it's been all week (it's in the 20's), so we've been able to go outside and play!  What a fun day! 

I know I said that I'd post a video of the boys when they woke up and saw the snow...but it's pretty anti climatic.  I was so excited to see their excitement...but I think they were still half asleep when they got out of bed.  I told them to go look out the window when they came into the kitchen this morning.  They walked to the window and stood there just staring...not saying anything.  I asked if they saw the snow and they just nodded their heads and smiled.  Maybe they hadn't found their voices yet!  Brody finally said, "I knew it was gonna snow."  (He's pretty all knowing right now.  I can't begin to imagine what it'll be like when he's an all knowing teenager! lol)


The boys decided to slide down the hill on their bottom as we headed to the forest behind Daddy Steve and Namaw's house.
 
Mike held on to Namaw as she tried to walk down the hill.  It's a good thing!  She's slid several times, but Mike was able to keep her from falling.  What's even more amazing is that he didn't spill a drop of the coffee in his hand in the process!  (The same can't be said for me.  As we were walking through the woods I was holding his coffee so he could hold Barrett and I bit it!  I stained a good portion of the snow with his fresh coffee...but at least I didn't get it on my camera!)

I went on the hike too :)

 

Brody wanted to climb the vines that grow up one of the trees behind Daddy Steve & Namaw's house.  It was much harder to climb with ice and snow on them!
After hiking around for a while,  headed to Daddy Steve and Namaw's house.  The boys decided it was a good time to wrestle!
Then they wanted to ride their bikes in the snow!  That didn't last very long.  They had a hard time peddling through the snow covered driveway!
 
So they got out the sled.  Mike ran around the circle drive pulling Brody.  He'd pull him fast and then spin around until Brody fell off laughing!
Barrett couldn't hold on to the sled very well, so Daddy Steve got out the recycle bin.  Rather than push him in it, he just ran around the driveway carrying Barrett! lol
Namaw had a better idea for Barrett...
Before long Brody was begging to go sled on the hill.  By this time other neighborhood kids began arriving with sleds in tow. 
 
Even I took a turn sledding down the hill!  If you click on this picture and look at the dad on the right you'll see the Texas version of snow boots (non hiking/snow vacationing Texans).  They seemed to work well in the snow...not so sure they would've helped Chad in the ice though.
When we got back to Daddy Steve & Namaw's house we got out the bubbles.  My friend, Sapphire, told me that if you blow bubbles outside when the temps are negative then the bubbles freeze.  We weren't close to 0 today, but since it was below freezing we decided to give it a try.  They didn't freeze in bubble form, but they did pop and fall as snowflakes!  Pretty cool!
Namaw decided to take the boys inside to warm up for a while, so Daddy Steve, Mike, and I climbed in the Jeep and ventured out to the grocery store.  I think Daddy Steve was really excited to go on a trip.  Since they only have 2wd vehicles, they've been stuck at home since Monday night!
The grocery store parking lot was almost as dangerous as it was when I went on Wednesday.  It's still covered with ice, only now there's snow over it too.  People were slipping and sliding all over the place!  We saw several people bite it really hard.  Thankfully none of them were seriously hurt.  I felt really bad for the one guy that Mike stopped the Jeep to help get up.  He'd just come out of the Starbucks by the grocery store and spilled a lot of his venti coffe all over himself when he fell (flat on his back)!  I don't know what I felt worse for him about...falling or spilling a precious cup of Starbucks!

On the way home we stopped in front of one of the local churches...one who forgot to turn off their fountain before the ice storm hit!
 
Dad couldn't help himself.  He asked me to video him spoofing that lady who fell into a fountain at a mall when she was texting while walking...


The boys are taking naps now and the sun is starting to peek out. I bet Brody doesn't sleep very long because after naps he wants to go sledding again!  Yipee!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I really enjoyed the pictures. It looked like so much fun. I also had some laughs. Thanks for sharing these memorable times.

Leave It To Davis said...

Love all the pictures, especially the one of the vines...that is amazing! Never heard about blowing bubbles like that....hope I can remember that the next time it gets that cold here! And Steve needs to go back to drama class.....he used to act better than that in the old days!!!! You gotta' put your heart into your roll, Steve!!!

Leave It To Davis said...

Er, role....lol