Monday, April 19, 2010

"You're my birth mommy?"

I was in the bathroom the other day when Brody walked in and said (in a very sweet voice), "Mommy, thank you!"

"Thank you for what?" I asked.

"I just want to thank you and Daddy for loving me and taking care of me when my birth mommy and daddy couldn't take care of me." He gave me a big hug as he said this to me.

Tears filled my eyes when I saw the sincere gratitude written across his face. I said, "Oh honey, Daddy and I do love you very much! But do you remember the stories I've told you about when you were in my tummy?"

"Yes"

"Well, since you were in my tummy, that means I'm your birth mommy and Daddy is your birth daddy."

"Oh. You're my birth mommy?"

"Yes"

"But the little baby that we're going to get...her {side note: he wants a sister} birth mommy and daddy can't take care of her...so we're gonna bring her home to love her?"

"Yes. He/she may not be growing in my tummy...but your new little brother or sister is already growing in our hearts, right?"

"Right! I can't wait to hold her and love her!"

2 comments:

Steve and Joan said...

I wondered why last night when we were bringing Brody back to your house he said what he did. I asked a random question of Brody - "Tell me about yourself Brody... tell me where you come from." I wondered what his answer would be but before I could guess he quickly said, "I came from Mommy, who is my birth mom."

I just said "You are right!". We went on to talk about other things. Now I understand what he was thinking! And Brody is always thinking!

Daddy Steve

Mom said...

That brings tears to my eyes even though it was the second time I heard it! Brody has such a sweet heart!